• MBTA Radio Frequencies?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by diburning

All still apply (to my knowledge) with the exception of the two frequencies labeled CSX. The Worcester line is now dispatched by the MBTA on AAR channel 020 which is 160.410. They use this channel for both the road and dispatching.

All of the rapid transit frequencies still work. The Green Line is repeated all over the city so you'll be able to hear them loud and clear in places that the Green Line doesn't even run.
  by typesix

The T rail transit lines and police still broadcast analog signals. Any inexpensive scanner can listen to those lines. For me in the Allston/Brighton area, the Red and Blue lines are harder to pickup, especially the Blue. Orange and Green lines have strong signals, as does T police. For emergency services, it depends on which city/town or agency. Some are analog, some are digital but also still broadcast analog. Here's one site to find frequencies and info:
http://scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?title ... ide_Portal
  by MBTA1016

My scanner easily picks up green line radio and occasional commuter rail. I originally got it to listen to fire/ems and police radio. I also got radio traffic from Logan. It's good to have, you just need the frequencies.
  by djimpact1

diburning wrote:All still apply (to my knowledge) with the exception of the two frequencies labeled CSX.
Diburning is correct. I will primarily reaffirm his statement that all rapid transit line frequencies have not changed, and I will further add that both Transit Police channels remain on the frequencies previously listed. As far as Commuter Rail, I assume they are also as-listed (though I only pick-up the Greenbush line during my travels).
BostonUrbEx wrote:I'm completely clueless as to how scanners work. I'm considering finally getting one. Would a scanner that can pick up MBTA frequencies also be capable of picking up fire, police, EMS, etc frequencies?
BostonUrbEx, the MBTA was my primary reason for buying the scanner I have. Concerning your question, yes, scanners that pick up MBTA channels should also pick up any police/fire/EMS/airplane/amateur HAM frequencies within reach of your antenna's reception radius.

On a side note, if you need any recommendations/further details, feel free to send me a direct message or e-mail & I'd be happy to tell you what I bought/where I'd recommend you should consider purchasing one.
  by BostonUrbEx

Just wanted to note that 470.637 is not working for the Green Line. Either it has gone digital or the frequency changed. I was able to receive Red Line transmissions just fine, however. Haven't tried any other subway lines.
  by neman2

BostonUrbEx wrote:Just wanted to note that 470.637 is not working for the Green Line. Either it has gone digital or the frequency changed. I was able to receive Red Line transmissions just fine, however. Haven't tried any other subway lines.
The MBTA is going to a 800 MHz " Harris digital system" that is not able to be monitored on any scanner.Very soon all the MBTA UHF frequencies will be dead.
  by neman2

Mbta fan wrote:Thanx for the info Neman? Do u when all radios should be switched over by?
Someone I know that works at the T informed me of a memo sent out about 3 weeks ago that said final changeover would take place within a month.
  by typesix

neman2 wrote:The MBTA is going to a 800 MHz " Harris digital system" that is not able to be monitored on any scanner.Very soon all the MBTA UHF frequencies will be dead.
Bad for us. Bought my first scanner back in 1978 just to listen to the T, after hearing how interesting it was on Gerry6309's Bearcat scanner.
  by BostonUrbEx

Sad news! Come on, I just my new scanner! :( Well everything seems to be fine on the MBCR side, though. So, yay!
Mbta fan wrote:Ok, it's all probably switched over at this point.
Except I just said:
BostonUrbEx wrote:I was able to receive Red Line transmissions
  by Teamdriver

Uniden Bearcat BCD396XT From a scanner forum , one dude posted this model as to getting the new channel , or maybe going to get it in the future. I am not an electronic wizard , so caveat emptor ,or at least let the emptor do some homework. No expertise in this mater , express or implied.
  by typesix

No present or future digital scanner will be capable of listening to the T's digital radios. The manufacturer won't allow any licensing of its technology by any scanner maker. The commuter rail side is different and will remain analog for now, like other railroads.
  by diburning

I think the commuter rail side will stay analog for a while since it uses AAR channels, and it is shared with other railroads. Unless all of the railroads that operate in MBTA territory and vice versa switch to the same brand/compatible digital radios, I highly doubt that it will happen anytime soon. Good luck getting Pan Am to switch... They're very.... lets just say, cost effective.
  by MBTA1016

diburning wrote: Good luck getting Pan Am to switch... They're very.... lets just say, cost effective.
Nice way of phrasing it diburning.