• Maspeth Grade Crossing Accident

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Head-end View

ABC News at 5PM today had dashcam video showing a recent collision at a crossing in Maspeth between a freight train and a commercial truck. You can clearly see that the crossing protection (lights and gates) did not activate until the train was entering the crossing. The gate did not start coming down until the train was already passing thru the crossing. Witnesses in the neighborhood stated to reporters that this has been an ongoing problem at this crossing.

Knowing how safety-minded LIRR is about grade crossing protection, I can't believe they would have failed to address an issue like this. Does anyone here know the story? What's up with this?

You can watch the video on ABC News' website.
  by Backshophoss

This was brought up in the NY&A thread about this accident,believe MAS is 10 mph there.
And under NY&A control as well
  by ADL6009

At this crossing the train is supposed to come to a complete stop before the crossing in order to activate the crossing protection, the train then waits for the gates to activate. After the gates are down the train can proceed. It's not the same type of crossing as in the LIRR zone C territory. This happened in ZONE D NYAR territory.
  by Head-end View

Well then it looks like the railroad is going to take a fall for this. The video speaks for itself.
Last edited by Head-end View on Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by DutchRailnut

add to that, that train was at least 30 to 40 mph and not 10 mph as stated by crew and NY&A to police.

http://7online.com/news/exclusive-dashc ... nt/838258/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Head-end View

Dutch, someone suggested in the NY & Atlantic thread that the video may have been speeded up to make the train look faster than it was.
  by Backshophoss

CH-7(WABC) didn't state the source of the video,was it a NYPD or LIRRPD dash-cam?
Also the upper part of the frame was blocked by a trailer.
  by northpit

ahh, the friendly railroad enthusiasts forum quick to crucify the railroader .This crossing is located in the middle of maspeth yard. There are 2 different crossing gate circuits,one for the yard tracks and one for the old main track.Not taking into account direction of travel.Speed cannot be determined by a newsfeed desperate for viewership.another cause could be rusty rail not completing a gate circuit due to declining use.Try not to speculate on a public forum when someone's job may be on the line.
  by Norton

Backshophoss wrote:CH-7(WABC) didn't state the source of the video,was it a NYPD or LIRRPD dash-cam?
Also the upper part of the frame was blocked by a trailer.
You watching the same video I did? It says the video came from the dashcam on the garbage truck. The upper part of the frame is blocked by the visor above the windshield.
  by Slippy

Word around the office is that the train was going significantly faster than the prescribed speed of 10MPH. Fast enough where gross negligence is being spoken about.
  by DutchRailnut

Ok source of video is a garbage truck , no it was not sped up .
crew and night trainmaster of NY&A are in deep shit for lying .
yes engine has event recorder .
  by nyandw

Just a note on this thread having just read it: It appears that folks write conclusions prior to the complete evidence being presented as we have seen within the past year in the National Media.... The constant LIRR insiders vs. "rail fans" nonsense sure is annoying; as a broad brush characterization and not a fact.
  by Slippy

I actually think this discussion is a welcomed departure of the abundant topics promoting your website.
  by nyandw

Slippy wrote:I actually think this discussion is a welcomed departure of the abundant topics promoting your website.
I didn't state that the discussion wasn't of value, interest, or proper for the LIRR forum, but merely an observation about jumping to conclusions prior to the facts being in and the Us vs Them syndrome. No attacks, merely a comment. Of course the thread is of value....

There are many topics monthly: Topics that I can add comments to with maps, historical photos, rosters, etc. are commented on.

I post once a month: "My LIRR website update" as the use of "LIRR website Update" was viewed as a possible sanctioned LIRR/MTA site; thus I changed it.

My website has NO ads, links to commercial sites that I benefit from, pop-ups, and requests to purchase material. All the material has been available since it's inception (c.1998) for others to use: just post the credits when copied.
  by vince

Well said Steve!
I always welcome your messages about your site a valuable source of correct information on the LIRR.
It seems some folks might be bothered by uncomfortable truths, especially that pesky video from the urban waste disposal truck.

Wondering what the story would be without that damming video!. I await the interesting NTSB report on this.
Please keep up the excellent work you are providing to LIRR history.
Best Regards,
Vince