• MARC New Multilevels

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by realtype

Jersey_Mike wrote:New equipment for the Thanksgiving trains?
The same thought had crossed my mind haha. The limited luggage space might be an issue though...
  by electricron

realtype wrote:
The same thought had crossed my mind haha. The limited luggage space might be an issue though...
Might be an issue???? It is an issue. Why do you think Amtrak doesn't use these same cars from NJT?
MARC's remaining Nippon Sharyo single level cars will still be available - and will continue to be preferred by Amtrak.
  by mbaker1979

Ok. I see what you mean. In that case, no NJT equipment has automatic traps. The traps on all their equipment is manual. There is a latch that the crews step on to openly the trap. So as for the video, the traps were already in the "up" position.
  by Fan Railer

That would be interesting to see.
  by realtype

Hopefully MARC gets these cars rated at 125mph. Not that it'll matter for that much longer...
  by HopFest96

I hope the spacing between rows of seats is not tight like some of the bi-levels.
  by realtype

HopFest96 wrote:I hope the spacing between rows of seats is not tight like some of the bi-levels.
When I rode on the NJT Multilevels a few years ago I found legroom to be slightly less than MARC's Kawasaki bilevels. The ex-VRE bilevels (which I think you're referring to) seem to have less legroom as well due to the seat design.
  by Jersey_Mike

electricron wrote: Might be an issue???? It is an issue. Why do you think Amtrak doesn't use these same cars from NJT?
MARC's remaining Nippon Sharyo single level cars will still be available - and will continue to be preferred by Amtrak.
Amtrak uses the Arrows because NJT charges significantly less for them.Amtrak has a much more cosy relationship with MARC.
  by HopFest96

Heads Up!!!

There is a strong indication that the new Multi-Levels will enter service on the Brunswick line, Monday 26 July. They will replace the ancient Gallery cars on the morning B864 and evening B875.
  by Lewis15

Last trip for the gallery cars was Thursday, July 24 on P877. New multi-levels were on that day's P875 to Martinsburg. I rode them on Friday, July 25 on the P874 inbound and the P875 return that afternoon. That's the train that the gallery cars were usually (but not always) on, and that's the train they will usually be on going forward.

Observations: The seat pitch is about the same as the VRE Kawasakis, but the backs of the seat have a 1" knee indent. No center armrests, just like the VREs. Quiet and smooth riding, comfortable seats, good PA systems, end LEDs just read "MARC". Steps seem less steep and lower tread heights, may make for slightly faster boarding. Extra set of high platform doors will help dwell on the Penn Line when they get over there.

Best part is the 120VAC outlets under the center of the seats ahead of you. I used them going home on Friday. Area between the doors in the car ends have fold down, center facing seats (think NY subway). Not my thing, but the groups that hang out together seem to like the arrangement.

And yes, they have that new car smell.
  by realtype

Thanks for the update! They sound exactly like what I remember from my experience riding the NJT cars. Can't wait to ride them on MARC. At least now they should definitely provide additional flexibility so that MARC can run the 874/875 set on midday Penn Line trains.

EDIT:
Up close look at the new cars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkEPxUX7j0k

Does anyone know if the new cars have been certified to run at 125mph on the Penn Line?
  by Lewis15

Exactly. The Gallery cars could only run on the Brunswick line due to their low boarding only. The new cars can run on low levels but really thrive on high levels, so they would work very well midday on the Penn or Camden.
  by CNJGeep

How was the train set up? Was it all new cars, or did it have any Kawasaki's/Sumimotos in it?