• MARC AEM7 locomotives 4900 to 4903

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by realtype

spvanhart wrote:It is my understanding talking to several of the conductors that 9 bilevels is the certified maximum for the HHP-8s, if someone with more knowledge could confirm or rebut this it would be appreciated. One question concerning the AEM-7s; the normal train consist I see on Amtrak Regionals with a AEM-7 pulling is 7 cars, is 7 single levels the maximum certified consist for the AEM-7 (DC models that is)?
I don't think so. I see Amtrak consists everyday and I've seen AEM-7's sometimes at the head of the longer LD's, and everyday on my commute I pass Amtrak 151 just south of Ivy City (which carries MARC passengers and makes extra stops at Perryville and Edgewood) and it almost always has 8 Amfleets. And I almost forgot, this summer I took 171 (BOS-WAS) from PHL to DC and it had 10 cars (extra business and cafe car) and 1 lone AEM-7 up front.
  by spvanhart

It is important to differentiate between the AEM-7s and the AEM-7ACs, which are AEM-7s the have been overhauled and have 7000 horsepower vs about 5300 HP for the DC AEM-7s. AEM-7AC has about equal pulling power as the HHP-8s.
  by Silverliner II

spvanhart wrote:It is important to differentiate between the AEM-7s and the AEM-7ACs, which are AEM-7s the have been overhauled and have 7000 horsepower vs about 5300 HP for the DC AEM-7s. AEM-7AC has about equal pulling power as the HHP-8s.
The AEM-7's were 7000 horsepower to begin with, IIRC. The AC's have what appear to be larger resistor grids on the middle and ends of the roof....
  by spvanhart

From what I have read, the AEM-7s as delivered were 7000 HP, but for some reason, can't remember why, in service they have only about 5300 HP. When the refurb was done and the AEM-7AC were assembled, it was at this point that the AEM-7s have servicable 7000 HP.
  by realtype

spvanhart wrote:It is important to differentiate between the AEM-7s and the AEM-7ACs, which are AEM-7s the have been overhauled and have 7000 horsepower vs about 5300 HP for the DC AEM-7s. AEM-7AC has about equal pulling power as the HHP-8s.
Yeah, I know the AEM's have the rectangular resistors on top. I didn't know that they had that little hp though. It would have been nice if Amtrak had upgraded MARC's AEM-7's (three of which they still have captive) to AC's. The only difference to 4902 is the fresh paint (same scheme) and new number boards.
  by Kaback9

realtype wrote:
Yeah, I know the AEM's have the rectangular resistors on top. I didn't know that they had that little hp though. It would have been nice if Amtrak had upgraded MARC's AEM-7's (three of which they still have captive) to AC's. The only difference to 4902 is the fresh paint (same scheme) and new number boards.
Does anyone know why MARC did not get the upgraded AEM-7AC's? I think I asked this before was it a question of money?
  by HokieNav

4902 was back in service this morning finally.

Track 13 at WAS this morning at about 7:15:

(It's really 4902, I promise - the one morning that I don't have my real camera in the bag)
  by realtype

HokieNav wrote:4902 was back in service this morning finally.

(It's really 4902, I promise - the one morning that I don't have my real camera in the bag)
Hey, you beat me to it :-D. Great photo though. I saw it this mornin also. It came in pushing 405, which arrived alongside my inbound Frederick train (890) at about 5 to 7am. When I switched to my Camden Line train (842) I had a perfect side view of it, but didn't feel like snapping a photo. I'm guessing you came in on 409.

4902 was at WAS for the 100th anniv and I saw it on another train last month, but never saw it again. For all I know it could have been on that consist all week since I only get into DC that early on Friday. I noticed that they upgraded the rear markers to LED's, like the Kawasakis and HHP-8'S, and they protrude from the body.
  by HokieNav

Close, I was on 407 (I get lazy on Fridays and take the "late" train in), so it certainly could have been on there all week.
  by realtype

HokieNav wrote:Close, I was on 407 (I get lazy on Fridays and take the "late" train in), so it certainly could have been on there all week.
My mistake (there isn't even a 409 :-)), I actually meant 407, which my Camden train passed leaving WAS. You're the opposite of me--on Fridays I have to take the "early" train. :-D
  by realtype

Another MARC AEM-7 has returned to service. MARC 408 was double headed with two AEM-7's 4902 and another one that I didn't catch the number of. I usually pass 408 daily coming into DC but it was 15min late (according to an MTA alert) becuase the equipment coming from the Sbound run (509) had experienced "mechanical difficulities." Interesting, since Amtrak just rebuilt them...

Anyway with the AEM-7's and VRE bilevels (two of which have been on the 6-car Brunswick line set running to Martinsburg in place of gallery cars) gradually being placed into service, only the new diesels are left.

UPDATE: The second MARC AEM-7 put in service is 4901. Both 4901 and 4902 were double heading (very rare more electric MARC trains) on train 432 this afternoon.