• Maple Leaf or Adirondack?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

Living up to its one time unofficial name of "The "Bootlegger" during the Volstead Act era, The Montrealer was quite the "party train" circa "70's".

The Lounge Le Pub, converted from an Army Hospital Car, was lively; during that era there was on-board professional entertainment (musician, stand up comedian). An On-Board Service Director was always assigned.

Further, the Montrealer was like the Auto Train in that there were enough Sleepers assigned so one could be obtained last minute. Rest assured upgrade discounts did not apply.

All told, quite the ride!!!!

by JFB

Indeed...

The convivial atmosphere of the Montrealer was the cause of my first and only onboard upgrade to sleeper. Made me wonder if that's why they had so many.

by JoeG

So, what killed the Montrealer? It was a popular train that served a large population. I never understood why it was axed, while some less-used sleeper lines continued.

by MissisquoiValleyRR

If memory serves, there was a piano on The Montrealer as late as 1987.