Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by pineywoodsman

Two recent photos of an M-7 crossing the Manhasset viaduct.

by Clemuel

Perhaps a reader will find this interesting --

The extension of the railroad from Great Neck to Manhasset and Port Washington in 1897 meant that a trestle bridge had to be constructed over the marsh at the end of Manhasset Bay. Building this bridge was the subject of considerable thought in the early 1890's; engineers were fearful of quicksand and marshland in the Valley. Finally in 1897, a contract was given to the Carnegie Steel Company and a subsidiary, the King Iron Company, undertook the job of constructing the bridge.

A huge stone arch was built above Shore Road on the Great Neck side over which the railroad line would pass. That narrow arch, constricting the width of the road at the point became a headache for traffic engineers and was removed 40 years ago. The narrow underpass on the Manhasset side remains a hazard for the unwary driver.

While sinking piles for the abutment on the Great Neck side near Shore Road the workmen struck bubbling springs, the largest of which covered ten square feet. (note the Water Works adjecent to the west abutment today, with its arteasian wells - Clem) One hundred and forty-five vertical piles were driven into the ground and sixty-six inclined piles were driven to resist the thrust of the filling placed back of the abutment. The concrete base is thirty-two feet wide, thirty-one feet long and fourteen feet thick. All the excavation was done by steam shovels; donkeys and horses pulled the heavy dump carts through the woods and swamps. Huge cranes lifted red iron girders to the top of the bridge where they were riveted into place.

The cost of the bridge was said to be $60,000. The first train ran over it on June 23, 1898. Eighty-one feet high and six hundred seventy-eight feet and one inch long it was a fit setting for a suspense movie. In fact, scenes from breathtaking old movie serial "The Perils of Pauline" were shot on the Manhasset Trestle in the hey-day of the silent films.

- from Manhasset.org

by RetiredLIRRConductor

Why a duck? Why no a chicken? :wink:

by Dave Keller

Vy a Duck? Vy not a chicken?

C'mon Groucho!!! :wink:

Dave Keller

P.S. "I shot an elephant in my pyjamas this morning . . .what he was doing there I have no idea!"

by Paul

I believe it was Chico who said to Groucho "Vy a duck? Vy not a chicken?"
All hail Freedonia!
http://www.evl.uic.edu/pape/Marx/sounds/elephant.wav

by alcoAL

Clemuel,

Nice piece of information. Thanks for posting it.

by alcoAL

Clemuel,

Nice piece of information. Thanks for posting it.

by Dave Keller

Paul . . . you may be right.

I can't remember who said what!

(Or was that "who's on first? Hey ABBAAAAAAAAAT!!") :-D

Dave Keller

by Crabman1130

No. What's on second.
I'm not asking you who on second?
Who's on first.
I don't know?
Third base.

by 9C1LT1

Ok, just wanted to post one of my Manhasset trestle pics for Piney and everyone else to view.

Heres a Budd set of M1/3's heading west.

The Manhasset trestle makes for a nice place to shoot, also the sun, clouds and fall colors help as well!

Enjoy,
-Barry

by li7039

imange beaing on the top level of a C3 going over that

by NIMBYkiller

That would be a thrill ride.

by Long Island 7285

imange beaing on the top level of a C3 going over that
The closest you'll get to that is on the port Jeff branch Northport and Smithtown trestles.
As for a Diesel train to PW, that’s what fan trips are for, so post those request on the “fan trip” thread

by li7039

isant the overhead at Pw too small to accodate c3s

by Clem

They fit and they've been to Port Washington.