Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#856031  by Beacon Line Bill

I see a large building has been torn down on Waverly Ave in Mamaroneck. That property backs up to what I have seen here refered to as the Marvel siding.
Probably wishful thinking, but does anyone know what is going to be built, and if by chance they picked that site for its rail access?
 #856049  by Beacon Line Bill

Looking at the map, Waverly runs exactly Northeast/Southwest.
The property I refer to is on the NH line side, (Southeast side?)between Fenimore Rd and Harmon Drive . On the map, Railroad Way runs behind it, but that is actually more of the right of way for the Marvel tracks than a road.
I think it was Suburban Carting that was torn down, but maybe it was a neighbor of SCC.
Also a large plot has been cleared on the other side of Waverly, not quite opposite this site, a little further away from Fenimore Rd.
 #856058  by Jeff Smith

Thanks Bill. Railroad Way does actually have "street running" although it's only once a week as far as I know. I didn't know Suburban was back in there; I thought they were across the street on Center. Back in the 70's, there were some sidings off of the two spurs I think; not sure if they're still there. So they'd be serving Marval at one end, and perhaps another company at the other. There'd be some shuttling of cars to do both.

If you find some old maps (look in the NH forum), tracks used to run at least up to Waverly, maybe across, but this was back in the thirties or so. My impression of that side of the street was that it was a mix of commercial and residential.

On the other side of Fenimore, just over the Sheldrake R, was a junkyard that was cleared out (Blood Bros; I used to get spare parts for some of my high school cars there). The property is beyond Marval; they had proposed townhomes or condos there but I don't know if they were ever built.
 #856963  by Beacon Line Bill

I took a closer look, and it is approximately in the address numbers 450 to 500 area on Waverly, between Fenimore and Ogden. It is hard to get an actual address when the whole building has been removed! The space is about 500ft X 100 feet and has the remnants of a loading dock in the back, facing the Marvel siding.
As I said it is likely just wishful thinking on my part, but maybe, if someone is investing money in a property served by rail, maybe they are doing it with plans to use the rail service.
 #1375478  by Travelsonic

I've noticed, walking up Waverly to Rockland Ave, and looking down towards the parking lot near I THINK the Toyota dealership... what appeared to be a small bit of rail in one of the driveways... looked to have the dimensions of rail, and was curved in a way that appeared to match one of the old tracks from way back where (based on looking at old maps).

Speaking of things being removed, looks like the remnants of the NYNH&H freight siding just south-southwest of Larchmont station, are gone. The street within which the rails were embedded looks to have gotten completely redone, and in the few areas of gap between unfinished sections, no rails (meaning that street got more than just a facelift, it looks like). Also, a new apartment building (it looks like, anyways) seems to also have been built on part of the right of way.
 #1375569  by Jeff Smith

One of the reasons for the bump is I've been organizing my photo's, and I was going to post some, including of that single rail right off that loading dock you mention, and of the old rails by the Larchmont Freight house (also a topic I bumped). I was also planning on doing some thread merging, because hey, that's what I does.