Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by Carmine

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows if this train connection is make-able, before I purchase tickets.

I intend to travel to Windsor, via Toronto, from Montreal. The plan is to take Train 53 (Dep. 6h55) from MTL to Toronto. The stated arrival time is 11h28. That gives me 32 minutes to catch Train 73 to Windsor, which departs at Noon. My question basically is, is train 53 (MTL-TOR) does it ever run late that I would miss my connection. Are VIA Rail trains slow-downed by freight trains like Amtrak Trains (outside of NEC) are?

Thanks in advance,
Carmine

by Ken V

Is it makeable? Yes. It happens most of the time.

Is it guaranteed? No (or, sort of, maybe - if your train is more than 55 minutes late, you can apply for a 50% travel credit against the price of your ticket).

Also, since VIA offers this connection in their reservations system, that means you have an assured through ticket (as long as you've booked it that way). If your first train is very late into Toronto for any reason, they will accomodate you on a later train to Windsor or, in extreme cases, provide some other alternative.

That being said, on-time performance in the Quebec City - Windsor corridor is very good. That does not mean that trains arrive on-time most of the time. Sometimes the trains are early, but they usually arrive less than 30 minutes late. If the timing is close they will often hold one train until the other has arrived and place them on opposite sides of the same platform for a quick and easy transfer.

However, stuff happens and you can never count on everything going smoothly. As long as you accept that and just relax, things will be okay.