Railroad Forums 

• maintenance of way jobs

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#117666  by slotcanyoneer

I have some questions about maintenance of way jobs. I was hoping someone who is employed in this department on any rr could answer some of them though I know policies differ from rr to rr. I am interested in the Guilford Rail System or CSX in particular.

1) Are you paid mileage to drive to the job site?

2) Could you be driving a few hundred miles in one direction one day and the next day be sent a couple hundred in the opposite direction?

3) Is there alot of o/t and is it after 40 hours?

4) Is there a decent amount of notice before being laid off?

5) Do you receieve unemployment when you are laid off and/or do you have to be with the rr for a certain time period before you qualify for this?
6) Does your insurance continue when you are laid off?

#117922  by wildbill

Here some answers for you if you where to work on csx on a traveling gang.

1) You are paid expenses for the week which includes money for fuel. The rooms are picked up on a company lodging card.

2) If you change you headquarters during the work week you can claim milege.

3) Overtime is paid anytime you work outside you assigned work time. If you assigned work time is 6:30 am to 5:00 pm on a ten hour day you are paid ot on any hours worked beyond these times even if you are under 40 hours.

4) A five day notice is giving on layoffs

5) I think you have to have one year service for unemployment. When you qualify it is only 56 dollars a day.

6) I believe insurance is valid for 90 days

#118356  by slotcanyoneer

Thanks for your answers. Do you work for CSX?