• Maine Central Steam Locomotive #470 Discussion

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by RGlueck

Maine Central 470 in H-O Scale
A Year of Patience Has its Rewards

A year ago at the Amherst Train Show, Broadway Limited Imports President, Joe Grubba, in cooperation with Factory Direct Trains, of Arden, N.C., donated one of their USRA 4-6-2 models to be rebuilt as an accurate representation of Maine Central 470. Shortly afterward, a stock model of Erie 2925 arrived and was handed over to NESCO's webmaster, Rudy Garbely for the reconstruction.

Rudy's H-O scale models are incredibly detailed, and easily mistaken for the prototypes upon which they are based. Over the year, a nearly 100% accurate model of 470 began to emerge, starting with the tender extension and trucks, then moving forward with inclusion of a Delta truck with booster, and relocation of many small, but necessary fittings. Add a set of Maine Central speed lettering decals, donated by High Ball Graphics, and what we have is probably the most accurate DCC ready H-O scale representation of NESCO's pride and joy. Details of the complete rebuild will emerge in a detailed article later on.

In time for the 2015 Amherst Train Show, please drop by New England Steam's booth to see this superb model locomotive.

Once again, thank you to Broadway Limited Imports, Factory Direct Trains, and High Ball Graphics for you generosity. Thank you Rudy Garbely, for using your artistic skills to create something wonderfully unique.

by Cowford

Well, first off the 470 is not a light Pacific. It is comparable in size/weight to the B&O "President" 4-6-2's.
Cosmo, 470 is a modernized USRA "light" Pacific. It is notably smaller and less powerful than the B&O P-7s. And that's a good thing; you wouldn't want a P-7 running on the Calais branch.
  by Cosmo

Cowford wrote:
Well, first off the 470 is not a light Pacific. It is comparable in size/weight to the B&O "President" 4-6-2's.
Cosmo, 470 is a modernized USRA "light" Pacific. It is notably smaller and less powerful than the B&O P-7s. And that's a good thing; you wouldn't want a P-7 running on the Calais branch.
Perhaps I was thinking of B&M 3713.
  by Pat Fahey

1-Untitled-Scanned-02.jpg
Hi
Modeling the Maine Central # 470 , this locomotive has been modeled in 1/16th scale in Live Steam , 1/16th scale is 3/4" to the foot
The locomotive has ran a number of times at the Waushakum Live Steamers in Holliston, Mass . I have taken out of photo were the engine is located , the photo did appear in our club newsletter a number of years ago . Pat Fahey club historian for the WLS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by RGlueck

Pat: As both President of New England Steam Corporation and a live steamer, I have been looking for this legendary locomotive for some time! If you have contact information for the owner, I'd really like to get a chance to get some pictures and talk about the model.

Dick
  by Pat Fahey

Hi Richard
Check your PM messages , I found what you are looking for , Pat
  by Pat Fahey

Hi Richard
I just found this on yahoo groups , Steam locomotives , Pat
Maine Central # 470 blueprint.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by RGlueck

Pat: We're getting close! This is a blueprint from which a complete b&w collection of MEC motive power was printed. It is a contribution, however, as I've never seen it in this format.

Saturday, I'm meeting a gentleman who as some of the original shop drawings, and I'm hoping we'll find what we need in those.

Still, "no joy" on locating that live steam replica. I'm guessing whoever owns it is no longer involved in the hobby, and merely retains it as a neat model curiosity.
  by RGlueck

Come join NESCO at Governor's in Waterville, Maine, March 26th, 2015, to learn about our restoration project, meet members of the Board of Directors, see historic slides of Maine Central 470, see the restored bell and replacement headlight, and buy your tee-shirts and new 470 baseball style hats! Presentations at 5PM and 7PM, Governor's great food, and a chance to show your support for restoration of Maine Central's last operating steam locomotive!
  by RGlueck

Don't forget "470 Night" at Waterville's Governor's Restaurant, March 26th! Rotating slide shows and updates on our plans for 2015 (you'll like them). Also, we will be introducing the 470 restoration baseball cap!
Other "470 Nights" are projected for Bangor and Ellsworth in the coming months.
  by RGlueck

A reminder - New England Steam Corporation will be presenting and displaying materials at Governor's Restaurant, in Waterville, Thursday evening, March 26th, from 4PM until 8PM. Restored headlight and bell will be displayed, with tee shirts, hats, and posters available for purchase.

Eat dessert first!
Steam Dog 470 Hat 004.JPG
  by RGlueck

This evening, March 26th, have dinner at Governor's in Waterville, then come see two presentations on 470's history and New England Steam's current plans for the locomotive!
Get you hat and shirt, too. Bring your kids to ring the bell.
Steam Dog 470 Hat 004.JPG
  by RGlueck

Thank you to everyone who turned out and supported us!

A second "$70 Night at Governor's - Bangor" is planned for mid-April. Watch for announcements!
  by MEC407

Any plans for a similar dinner/fundraiser in southern Maine? (Too bad Governor's closed their South Portland and Biddeford restaurants...)
  by RGlueck

Find us a restaurant that is willing to have us speak and help support NESCO, and we'll consider it. Meanwhile, look for the new notice regarding April 29th in Bangor!