• Maine Central Steam Locomotive #470 Discussion

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by RGlueck

We are in a fund drive right now. Please go to http://www.newenglandsteam.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and review the ways in which you can contribute to the cause. She'll be moved in 2015, but it is critical to have cash in hand. Remember, contributions are tax-deductible. Please get your business, employer, club, or rich uncle to come on board with us. We are the last, best hope this locomotive has and we are dedicated and non-profit.
  by RGlueck

This express box car was built to benefit New England Steam Corporation in it's funding to rebuild and restore Maine Central 4-6-2 #470. Purchase of the car is made as a donation to New England Steam Corp.

The prototype ran on arch bar trucks during its service life, which probably lasted until 1920-25. The original car is pictured below, followed by two photos of the model as displayed at the Brewer, Maine, Train Show, this past weekend. It is painted an ivory tone with custom vinyl lettering donated by High Ball Graphics. At my request, the trucks are Fox design, utilized by Maine Central in this same time period, donated by Odd Duck Foundry. Wheels, axles, and couplers are not included, but are easily added. The inner body is 3/8 plywood with individually applied exterior strips of pine. The center frame is steel with welded coupler pockets of 2" x 1" steel. The roof is plywood with cloth glued to it them painted with black exterior paint. It is removable, although the doors are functional.

I've built and donated the car to New England Steam Corp. as a fund raiser. I think a donation of $750 is fair, and the organization will gladly give the car to the donor. NESCo is a 501c3 organization.

The car is located near Bangor, Maine, but can be delivered within state or to an agreed upon transfer location.

This is what your wife really wants for Christmas!!!

Please visit http://www.newenglandsteam.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to learn more about the restoration of Maine Central 470, and how you can become part of the growing commitment to return big steam to "The Pine Tree State".
  by RGlueck

Wrapping up Ye Olde 2014.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by RGlueck

2014 has been a great year for Maine Central 470. Help make it better!

Help is touch $60K by New Years Day!

Please open and share the attachment.

New England Steam Corporation is a IRS registered 501c3 organization.

Wrapping up Ye Olde 2014.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by JBConn

Hi all,

I'm interested in making an HO model of MEC 470. So far I have the decals (leftover from renumbering a Bachmann 2-8-0 to 501) and am getting a USRA light pacific model to decorate. Based on photos, one of the more obvious differences between the USRA Light Pacific and 470 is a bunch of mysterious (to me) piping around the smoke box. The piping looks connected to the too of the steam chest near where the steam pipes enter, by some valve-like fittings then sweeps in, up around the smoke box to vent upward just behind the stack. There is a similar, (but not, I think) identical pipe on each side.

I'd like to know what it is to help figure out how to model it

There is also a square indent on each side in the lower half of the front curved sides of the smoke box kind of behind the front of the running boards. From what I've read, it's part of a feedwater heater. Nice to know if that's correct.

I think the trailing truck is different also.

Any info you all can provide would be appreciated. I'm sure I'll have more questions too as time goes on.

Thanks

Jim
  by Cosmo

Well, first off the 470 is not a light Pacific. It is comparable in size/weight to the B&O "President" 4-6-2's. A better starting point would be either a Mantua 4-6-2 if you can find one with spoked drivers, (no MEC engines had boxpoks) or a heavier model from another manufacturer. MEC 470 is superheated with a feedwater system installed. She does not have the typical ELESCO "can" mounted above the smokebox, so I would guess she has a Worthington-style FWH.
There are amp pictures available online, a short search back through the forms will produce many links.
Your best source, however, for direct information is NESCO (New England Steam Corporation) as they are currently restoring the actual locomotive and thus have the best data available to answer any further questions you may have.
  by Pat Fahey

mec470 # 2.jpg
Hi

As for a feed-water heated on 470 , she does Not carry a Worthington FWH she carry's a Coffin Feed water heater . This type of Feed water heater , was exposed on some locomotives such as a B&M Berkshire , or a Central Vermont 2-8-0 , but on Maine Central # 470 it is hidden in the smoke box .

470 was built in 1924 and was preserved after pulling the final steam excursion in 1954.
Note the Coffin feed water heater in the smoke box.
  by JBConn

Thanks Cosmo and Pat

I have reached out to NESCO and they are being helpful.

Still wondering about the pipes on both sides of the smokebox that seem to run from behind the main steam steam pipes up around the smokebox and vent right behind the stack. Looks like some sort of valves or fittings near the base of the main steam pipes also. Are they associates with the feedwater heater? If not, what do they do? Apologies if my terminology is off.

I'm not a huge rivet counter, but like to get close. A reasonable starting point then add details that contribute to the overall look and character of the model. The external piping on the smokebox is (to my mind) one of those things. Lots of the affordable steam models out there look so plain and bland and generic.
  by jbvb

Wikipedia's page on MEC Pacifics says the last five (including 470) had boosters, apparently on the trailing truck. So at least one of the pipes you're wondering about is the booster's exhaust, and others might be live steam feeds. If you could go to Waterville, you could probably trace the pipe runs. Otherwise, look up what model of booster was used on the 'Delta' trailing truck and see if you can find any documentation (or write-ups in old trade publications) about how they were normally installed and plumbed.
  by bml1149

Hi JB,
I'll try to help you, too. I am also with Nesco. The pipes behind the stack are indeed exhaust pipes. One for the airpump, one for the booster exhaust and the last one for the generator. Next time I am there, I will try and get you some pictures. I thought I may have one of that area, but I do not. The parts you see at the admission pipe connection to the steam chest are called drifting valves. They allow the engine to drift without drawing in exhaust gasses from the smokebox. This is also where the connection to the booster is. You can follow the pipe from here along the side of the boiler to an area beside the firebox where the booster throttle is and from there to the flexible connection down to the booster. It is equipped with a Franklin C-1 booster. The information posted earlier on the Coffin heater is correct. Also, the shield located on 469's pilot housed a Worthington SA type feedwater heater.
Good luck with your model,
Leverett Fernald
  by JBConn

Leverett and jbvb,

Thank you very much for the information. Lots of good stuff to work with.

Photos would be great, when you can get to it. I'm about 3 hours from Waterville so don't get up there often. Maybe not until August.

Jim
  by RGlueck

The request to bring in "$60K by New Years Day" was answered from around the nation. As of this morning, December 31st, 2014, we have raised $65,500 towards the purchase and preservation of Maine Central 470. New England Steam wishes to thank everyone who has donated, bought a shirt or print, and joined as a member during the year.
If you are not yet a member, or wish to re-up for 2015, please go to http://www.newenglandsteam.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, print the form or use Paypal to be part of 2015's plan.

Thank you, everyone, who has carried the hope to see 470 steam again.
Dear Members and Supporters.pdf
  by gokeefe

RGlueck wrote:The request to bring in "$60K by New Years Day" was answered from around the nation. As of this morning, December 31st, 2014, we have raised $65,500 towards the purchase and preservation of Maine Central 470.
Wow! Way to go NESCO. Always a good sign to see these campaigns pushing forward.
  by RGlueck

Dear Members and Supporters:

With the close of 2014 it’s time to think about renewing your membership for the New Year. This applies to those who joined prior to July, 2014. If you joined after July 01, 2014, you still have the luxury of six months membership!
Today, Maine Central #470 is closer to relocation for restoration than any time in the past six decades. Because of the generosity of members and supporters we now plan to move the locomotive during 2015!
We’re ready to make the move, and your continued membership is more important now than ever!

----------------
Please choose from one of the membership categories below

Single Annual Membership: $30

Senior Citizen Annual Membership: $25

Family Annual Membership (includes spouse or domestic partner): $50

Patron Annual Membership: $100

Founder's Circle Annual Membership: $470

Single Lifetime Membership: $1,000

Family Lifetime Membership: $1,470

Your name__________________________________________________________________________
Street Address/Box ___________________________________________________________________
City/Town________________________________ State___________________ Zip ___________
Email Address____________________________________________________________________________
Preferred Telephone ( ______ _) ____________________________________________

Please mail your membership or donation to:
New England Steam Corporation
P.O. Box 302
Winterport, Maine 04496