• Main Line Expansion- Calverton Spur

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

by BEDT16RMLI

as of yeterday driving down past grumman i saw nothing being done no changes.

by tahawus84

Everytime I drive past the spur I see a dude in a grey van sleeping there. Anyone ever notice this?

by JMBethpage

This article dated 11/11/04 explains the state of progress on the spur.

http://www.travelerwatchman.com/newsstories.asp?id=886

Still no visible progress, I just went by the area. I believe that gray van that's always there is related to Peconic Paddlers, they rent canoes and kayaks and launch them at the boat ramp near the tracks on Connecticut Ave.

by LI Loco

We once rented with Peconic Paddlers and put our canoe in at that location for the trip back to Riverhead. I recall carrying our canoe over the track, which was in pretty bad shape.

by JMBethpage

The Calverton Spur project is dead. Read 12/17 Newsday, page A56. The Town rejected the plan because they could not guarantee the creation of 135 new jobs, which was a requirement to receive a $600,000 grant from the state. Kamco pulling out of the site greatly contributed to this problem.

by Sir Ray

JMBethpage wrote:The Calverton Spur project is dead. Read 12/17 Newsday, page A56. The Town rejected the plan because they could not guarantee the creation of 135 new jobs, which was a requirement to receive a $600,000 grant from the state. Kamco pulling out of the site greatly contributed to this problem.
What happened to Kamco anyway? I went to visit their site (which lists Calverton as one of their locations), but it looks as if it has not been updated since 2001.
Anyway, this is a major, major problem of the 'glacial pace' for rail projects in New York - everyone farts around so long that nothing ever gets done (e.g. again, I ask, how is that spur to the bakery in Jamaica coming along?)

by DogBert

Maybe if Paturkey leaves albany we'll get some people up there a little more proactive about such projects.
  by badneighbor

Is the NY state gov.t at fault for dragging their heels? or is it NYA owners not showing any ambition to grow out here. It seems like the NYA has not grown very much in the past two years... enough to keep running, but not enough to expand... buy new equipment... I know the employees have to watch their words... but I hope this reverses, and some serious growth comes about. If it is the state, it looks like we'll see a party change in Albany next time out..Pataki's star seems to be fading...dont be surprised to see him move to a cabinet spot in DC, before he realizes he's gonna lose next time.
  by badneighbor

I actually heard what is the REAL reason this project died... The deer that live along Connecticut Avenue out in Calverton were involved with a tremendous letter writing campaign to the NYS Legislature. They have been all over Channel 12 News, and Newsday complaining about all these noisy trains rumbling through their village. The biggest gripes were that they thought the trains would lead to more hunters in the area... blame the %$#$ NIMBY deer...

by jayrmli

Sadly, there is a lot of blame to go around on this one. I probably couldn't name all the parties, but here's a short list:

1) Town of Riverhead. Not just the rail spur, but the Town of Riverhead has been clueless when it comes to developing this parcel of property which was given to them by the Navy. The list is endless, from the slow development from the start, soil remediation plans, the ill-fated "deer hunt" which wound up costing money replacing fencing removed by environmentalists, the plan for concerts (which never happened) there last Summer which would up being a total disaster and cost businesses such as Blue Point Brewery and various hotels out there thousands of dollars, the ill-fated charity Air Show which brought out 25,000 cars at $10.00 per car, and somehow only giving $10,000 to two charities. Part of the deal was also inheriting a power generating station which is now so outdated it is practically worthless. Only the Town of Riverhead would give up a $1.5 million dollar grant over such a small issue. They were worried about having to pay part of it if business didn't pan out, but there were already 2 customers on line, with a third planned. This was just to start out. Funny how money didn't matter this much to the Town when they funded the building of an aquarium (which was only successful after they sold it to Atlantis at a loss), the Suffolk Theater, etc. The list is endless.

2) Other politicians. Pataki was mentioned above, but there are others. Senator Ken LaValle took a lot of credit when this grant was announced. He seems awfully silent now.

3) NIMBYS - Believe it or not, there was some NIMBY opposition to the project, even though it is in the middle of the woods with no chance of residential development in the area. Residents were worried about (gasp!) garbage movements out of the facility. I guess once again they like their current plan, where they put the garbage in a can outside their house and it magically disappears.

4) The railroad - While they were hot on the project when it started, things seemed to cool off as time went on. It's not a good sign when the company that stands to make a profit on this shrugs their shoulders when asked what is the latest news on the project. Any project that the vested parties appear to show little interest in is doomed.

The only good news is that the company in there, Mavilla Foods, is still very interested in rail service. From what I've heard about them, I don't see them giving up quite yet. Kamco unfortunately looks like they did, and it's a shame. These companies moved to that facility specifically because they were promised future rail service. Unfortunately, they may have made the best statement by moving out of the Town of Riverhead.

Jay

by Sir Ray

So jay, as I asked before, what happened to Kamco?
Did they close up shop entirely (as I said, their website is stuck in 2001, it seems, so it's no help), or just close this facility? And was there a reason for their actions either way?

by BEDT16RMLI

I was in the Riverhead industrial park today and some of the track is now is such bad shape then when I inspected it last year, one of the sidings has to get all new ties in the future when the rest of the line is in some what ok shape except for that it is all land locked, no connection to the spur or the mainline.

by jayrmli

I think Kamco got tired of the promises of rail service to the siding, and flipped the Town of Riverhead the bird and moved on.

This will certainly leave a bad taste in the mouths of businesses looking to expand. They will think twice before moving to Riverhead.

Jay

by Legio X

Yet another example of how dysfunctional local politics on Long Island is. The ineptitude and sloth of both elected officials and their patronage-machine minions is incredible.