Railroad Forums 

• Main Line Expansion- Calverton Spur

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #10550  by badneighbor

Is there any further progress on the re-laying of the Calverton Spur to serve the new businesses in the old Grumman land? Any news at all?

#10639  by Mr GP10

I hope they do start to relay the tracks BTW how far out is Calverton? Is it near Ronkonkoma? Mile marker# ? :)

#10742  by NIMBYkiller

It's closer to Riverhead, near the former Manorville-Eastport line.

#10745  by Mr GP10

Manorville-Eastport huh? was this like another central branch? Interesting.

#10752  by JMBethpage

I'll be in Wading River on Sunday, I'll swing by Connecticut Ave. in Calverton and report on any track work I see.

#10901  by mike38-2

I pass by this area about once a week. Nowork has been started as far as I can tell.

#10976  by badneighbor

My kids and I rode the train to Greenport Thursday morning. No activity at all on the Calverton spur. That's why I was asking if any news was available. The spur is along Connecticut Avenue, and about a mile or so west from Edwards Avenue, where the Calverton Station was, and where the NYA lays up on occasion.

#11060  by jayrmli

There is supposedly movement on getting this project going. I've heard trackwork is to begin shortly. Keep your fingers crossed!

Jay

#11295  by NIMBYkiller

Yo, MRGP10, take a look at www.lirrhistory.com then look under the abandonned ROW section, I think you'll like it.

#12714  by JMBethpage

As of Saturday, 4/10, there was no work at all on the Calverton spur. These photos show the crossing at River Rd. near Connecticut Ave. where the crossing gate will go and the location for the switch, the Greenport track can be seen in the background. It looks like they have a lot of pine trees to clear.

http://www.transitgallery.com/showpic.p ... 87&uuid=65

#26452  by Legio X

Has the month of June brought anything new with the Calverton Spur? I'd think the prospective customers want to get things going.....

#26457  by Sir Ray

Don't know if they've done any work the past two months (I'm sure we'd read about it in the Newsday if they started), but here's a fun quote from June 2002:
Two of Calverton Enterprise Park’s immediate beneficiaries of direct rail access, Mivila Food Distribution Facility and Kamco Lumber Supply Corporation, expect to create 225 new jobs over the next three years as a result of this project. Other companies within the park have indicated that railway access will reduce transportation costs and allow them to consider expansion.
Guess we're still waiting on those 225 jobs (although they do have one more year to create them) :)

#26532  by jayrmli

I've heard some of the necessary signatures on the project have been obtained. No actual work has taken place on the siding yet. It's moving, but at a glacial pace.

Jay

#69749  by Legio X

Has the bureaucratic glacier moved at all with this project?

#69890  by Sir Ray

Legio X wrote:Has the bureaucratic glacier moved at all with this project?
That's a good questeion - has any progress been made.
There's moving ahead slowly, and then there's just spinning your wheels (anyone remember the rebuilding of the spur to that bakery in Jamaica announced by the Governor's office, what, 3 years ago? - whatever happened to that?)