• MAIN LINE EAST OF RONKONKOMA

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by n2qhvRMLI

Legio X

The switch and track moving off the mainline to the right, (north, looking west), is a passing siding that is now used by local lumber companies as a "team" track. NYA delivers a few carloads of lumber to the site each week and the companies send their trucks up to Southold to offload and distribute the lumber. When there are no loads spotted on the track, it can be used as a passing track. It returns to the mainline just west of Boiseau Avenue, about 900' east of the photo location.

Throughout the history of Southold hamlet, many switches, sidings and tracks appeared and disappeared between Young's Avenue, (Railroad Avenue), and Boiseau Avenue. It was a busy freight center for the hamlet that included coal, farm machinery, seed potatoes, harvested produce, lumber and automobile deliveries and shipping. Over time the area boasted a separate LIRR/REA freight house, two coal comapanies - one with a coaling tower for loading delivery trucks - two farm machinery companies a lumber yard and half a dozen potatoe and produce packing houses. Freight was number one followed by LIRR passenger service.

de Don, N2QHV

by Paul

Sorry Jay. I stand corrected. All those years of breathing diesel fumes and crankcase oils have taken they're toll.
  by de402

This is my favorite thread!
  by Fla East Coast Chris

Hi,
Just to let you all know on May 6th there will be no mid morning Greenport service East of Riverhead due to switch replacement at Greenport. The morning eastbound that connects from 2008 will terminate at Riverhead and the westbound will start from Riverhead. Evening service will not be affected. There are small flyers floating around about the srvice disruption... Any questions please feel free to IM me..
Chris
  by de402

by n2qhvRMLI

Hey Eric!

Great shot, one photo is worth 1000 words! They had two lumber loads in there last week - things are busy. Nice shot!

de Don N2QHV

PS, I think this is my favorite thread too!

by Legio X

These pictures are great. Keep them coming. Do they also get boxcars here, or is it strictly a centerbeam flatcar operation?
  by John 61

I think Southold is strickly a centerbeam/Bulkhead operation. I haven't noticed any boxcars there.
  by badneighbor

will there be normal service next week, during the day from KO to Greenport? I may take a ride with my kids, off from school??

by de402

I took this the day after the centerbeam trailer left. This photo is now two years old. Rail on the private siding is stamped with the date 1927 and mainline track is stamped 1955.
  by de402

Say hi to Don when you get off.

by mike38-2

there is some track equiptmentin medford parked on the siding by the station. guesstrackworkis planned?

by jayrmli

Wednesday and Thursday I believe they're doing trackwork between KO and YA.

Jay

by Legio X

With the M.o.W. equipment at Medford's spur, I guess NYA service to the off-line customers who use the spur will be disrupted.

by mike38-2

The stuff in medford was only there for one night i believe. I just heard a lot of mow equiptment pass my house in medford heading westbound.