• M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Doc Emmet Brown

I noticed in the artists conception, the lower headlights are under the markers, not next to them. They just love to change things for no reason.
  by inthebag

Doc Emmet Brown wrote:I noticed in the artists conception, the lower headlights are under the markers, not next to them. They just love to change things for no reason.
Same as the M-8's. Looks uglier to me IMO. As much as we knock the M-7's around here, it's a decent looking car.
  by Head-end View

Well Doc, at least we'll be able to easily tell them apart. LOL
  by MattAmity90

As this being my milestone 300th Post, this kind of hits me in the heart because I grew up with these cars and I can't believe it's the end of an era! I'm going to miss the idling noise they make with the HVAC system, the double door design, the sleek commuter look, and those original leather seats. Saddest day for me since they retired the M1's. The design of the M9 is cool looking, especially the LED destination now on the front above the engineer's vestibule, but I don't like the fact that the yellow now goes up to the top, or the fact the car numbers will be in the 9000 series, then again it starts with a 9. A combined 70 years of service for the original Metropolitan cars (40 for the M1, 30+ for the M3).

Also, out of subject, I shared * photo of the first revenue M1 trip to the MTA LIRR's Facebook page as a Throwback Thursday photo. It says I contributed it, but I gave the credit to *. I just happened to have it in my LIRR album on my Facebook page.
  by Liquidcamphor

I was asked to split this topic from the M3 Retirement thread and inadvertently deleted some of the posts. I apologize for that and didn't purposely delete any posts in this thread.
  by MNCRR9000

What are going to be some differences betweeh the M7s and the M9s? Will the amount of seats be the same?
  by DutchRailnut

yes same amount of seats and looks will be pretty much same , kind of like differences between M1 and M3.
  by lirr42

Each pair will have eight more seats than the M7's, for a total of 221 seats per pair. According to the railroad, space for the additional seats will come from "relocating equipment storage". The cars themselves will also be about 2 inches wider, allowing for marginally wider seats.
  by MattAmity90

MNCRR9000 wrote:What are going to be some differences betweeh the M7s and the M9s? Will the amount of seats be the same?
Aside from what is mentioned below, the color scheme on the front has the yellow going all the way up to the roof lights. The M7's are black to the top, with the yellow only encompassing the head and taillights.
  by Head-end View

Minor differences aside, assuming the M-9 has the same full-width cab and blacked out cab-door window as the M-7's, this will effectively be the end of any front window viewing on LIRR trains. So enjoy those occasional M-3 rides when you can over the next few years. Frig me for being a railfan.....
  by MattAmity90

Head-end View wrote:Minor differences aside, assuming the M-9 has the same full-width cab and blacked out cab-door window as the M-7's, this will effectively be the end of any front window viewing on LIRR trains. So enjoy those occasional M-3 rides when you can over the next few years. Frig me for being a railfan.....
Sometimes they actually leave the door open though sometimes. One time in 2008, I was on a train to Hicksville from Penn and he left the door open and I could read the speedometer. When we blew by Carle Place, it said 72 MPH.
  by lirr42

MattAmity90 wrote:Aside from what is mentioned below, the color scheme on the front has the yellow going all the way up to the roof lights. The M7's are black to the top, with the yellow only encompassing the head and taillights.
Kawasaki has had the contract for less than six months, and the ascetic design has already changed at least once, so I think speculating on their appearance before one actually arrives on Long Island is useless.
  by keyboardkat

Will the M9s be able to MU with the M7s, as the M3s did with the M1s (after some modifications to the M3s)?
  by onorclose7

As stated in an early post. No. They will have a compromise coupler for rescue purposes only.