Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by rpjs

I'm sitting in car 9255 at the head of train 734, 7.57am ex Croton.

Is this the first time M8s have run in revenue service on the Hudson line? It's a first to me.

Interestingly the PIS has Hudson line stations programmed in. It just announces we'd be stoppong at Hastings. We didn't, which is normal.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

rpjs wrote:I'm sitting in car 9255 at the head of train 734, 7.57am ex Croton.

Is this the first time M8s have run in revenue service on the Hudson line? It's a first to me.

Interestingly the PIS has Hudson line stations programmed in. It just announces we'd be stoppong at Hastings. We didn't, which is normal.
It happens. New Haven Line equipment has always made one-off cameos on the other two mains when car assignments get out-of-sync for random reasons, so it's not surprising the ASA is programmed for every stop in electric territory. They just may not have firmware updated regularly enough to account for every individual train on the schedule's stop itinerary when individual stops get skipped.
  by Clean Cab

The M8's have run several times on both the Harlem and Hudson. Most recently during the power failure on the NH line. During that time Harmon was full of M8's.
  by truck6018

M8's do run revenue every now and then to Harmon. I think if the equipment has to go to (or from)Harmon shops for anything and there's no crew to dead head it up there.

F-line: the ASI is not set up by individual train number. Each station is manually selected dependent of that train's stops.
  by rpjs

Yes, I've had one of the older NH sets before now on this train, but this is the first time I've had an M8 set. Before the Spuyten Duyvil accident 734 was usually a diesel set, with occasional EMU substitutions. Since then it's been always EMUs, usually M7As.

It's been short-formed 6 cars instead of 8 a lot lately, and the other day the conductor apologized and said management had been notified, so when I saw M8s this morning I wondered if we'd be fully-formed again, but no still 6 cars only. Fortunately I get on at Philipse Manor and can usually still get a seat, but there are a lot of standees from Tarrytown these days.