Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Nasadowsk

Yeah, the DE/DM numbers will drop every now and then ;)

by flexliner

OK, so now we know about the M-5.
But - the "original" "experimental" bi-levels were the C-1.
the current bi-levels are the C-3.
so, what about the C-2? (yes I know there are C1 thru C5 on the NJT forum)

by N340SG

Phil,

Those numbers are the total numbers in the fleet.
Availability is another matter.
As you might expect, the DE/DM availability percentage is not a good one right now. :(

M7

by RC '75

I have yet to see an MDKS panel on an M-7 train. Yet I've seen a few pictures on the internet. Does the MDKS panel have the same functions as on the M-1's & M-3's, plus newer functions as well? Also, it looks like the panel has one red light and one green light.

by N340SG

RC '75,

Pretty much the same functions.
There are six buttons. Door open and door closed buttons for each direction (zone), buzzer, and lamp test.
On the top, the two green LEDs are the zone lights...the white LED is the indicator that this MDKS is controlling door operation.
There are three other LEDs....engineer override (red), no motion (green), and door partial open (orange).

I don't know what "door partial open" is. (Haven't gone to door classes yet.) Perhaps a train crew member can explain, or I'll experiment when we have a pair of 7s in the shop.

Below the MDKS, there is a "pre-close" button that can be used to sound the annoying "doors about to close" warning. (Which sounds anyway when "close" button is pushed.)
  by N340SG

"Door partial open" is a lighted pushbutton. When pressed, it illuminates, then when the trainman pushes the door open button(s), only the "B" end doors of each car in the train open.

Tom
  by N340SG

As of June 11, 2004, LIRR intranet shows:

M-7 = 276
M-1 = 516
M-3 = 172

DE30 = 23
DM30 = 23
C-3 =134

As expected, M-7 deliveries to LIRR have slowed considerably, because MetroNorth is receiving their M-7 cars now. That was planned from the getgo. So, I won't be updating the figures too often, i.e. until there is an appreciable difference.

Tom

by point88

Are the M7's still getting new trucks? And there is any update on the M7 bathroom situation. I was on a consist of ten with 4 bathrooms out of order. Is there a plan? Its very embarrassing to keep telling passangers to walk the train to find a working bathroom. Its makes the railroad look bad especially with the US Open in town.
  by N340SG

point88,

The trucks have been undergoing several test modifications. The latest and greatest is the one where the shoe fuse box is moved off to the side of the truck (from centered over the shoe hanger), and there is a huge shock absorber diagonally mounted from the truck to car body.
I have had a couple of rides in cars with the latest mods. They do seem to ride better.....but, only time will tell if more needs to be done. (Don't forget that we're not in "wheel slip/slide season". Flat spots and shelling are generally not as big a problem in spring/summer. )
I believe the newest cars are delivered that way, and the older cars will be/are being retrofitted.

The bathrooms, we only get second and third- hand info at WSS. I honestly don't know what, if anything, is being done to rectify those problems. I haven't heard any news at all on that subject.

Have you been getting a lot of configuration problems on your M-7 consists? We had a 10 car train last week, where, by the time we got to Penn, the computer swore there were only 2 cars in the consist.
I told Doug, the Conductor, that he better look out the window and check, because "computers don't make mistakes".
I understand you also don't get your trainline application light (on the TOD) when the train is misconfigured.
Bombardier is retrofitting a yellow trainline application light on the same panel as the trainline release light (where the bypass switches are).

Tom
  by N340SG

June 15, approximately 2:45 P.M., my train is heading west through Hall Interlocking when I see an M-7 car coming the other way. No big deal, right? Except for the blue and white pattern on the front! I'm like, what the .....? Sure enough, it's MNCR 4001 and it's mate being pushed eastward (to HMC?) by locomotive.

(For anyone viewing that doesn't know about the incompatible third rail contact shoes....LIRR overrunning....MNCR underrunning. Contact shoes have to be removed when cars are on sister RR's property or will tear up third rail standoffs.)

Dutch or anybody else know what that was all about?

Tom

by DutchRailnut

MNCR has only run the M7's in 8 or6 car trtains so far as I know. about 4001 to LIRR Ill find out got to make few calls today.

by Nasadowsk

Maybe they want to send the units there cause that's where BBD is mostly setup now?

by DutchRailnut

Bombardier has a two track setup in Harmon too so thats not it.
  by N340SG

Just realized there is no M-7 numbered 7003 or 7004. Ownership as of 7/31/04 is 282 M-7 cars, and the highest number is 7284. Roster check quickly showed no 7003 or 7004. Hmmmmmm.....Got the feelers out on that one, too.
  by ATK

Those two cars are up in LaPoc. I suspect that they are getting completely rebuilt as they were originally prototypes.