Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by burkeman

I work out in Sunnyside yard in Queens and alot of LIRR trains come pass and you hear nothing but flat spots and noise. You may hear it from Amtrak or NJ Transit once and a while but these are new cars and they sound like this already. I was wondering when buy new car do you want to hear that loud clicking when youre going home. Long Island should look into that because im sure it can be annoying after a while.

by RPM2Night

from what I heard, weren't the M-7s supposed to be equipped with some form of anti-lock brake? Some people blame it on the cars being heavier, but that should just make it less likely that the wheels will lock up and skid, due to the added weight pushing the wheels to the rail.

by RetiredLIRRConductor

One of the problems is the training department teaching the trainees to run at P-4 right up to the codes. They basically teach them p4 max brake. Oh well it does wonders for the disabilities. :P

by scopelliti

Some people blame it on the cars being heavier, but that should just make it less likely that the wheels will lock up and skid, due to the added weight pushing the wheels to the rail.
Nope. The weight does not matter. A heavier car has more friction on its wheels, but it weighs more, so it needs more friction. A lighter car has less friction on its wheels, but needs less. Hence, the weight cancels out.

The issue is with the braking force applied, either heavier hands on the brake, or poorly functioning anti-lock (if they have it).

by MisterM7

I think it has to do with the speed package.

If you hit a code(which is the way the trainees are being taught to do) the brakes immediately go to max brake until the penalty is suppressed. BTW this also causes the flat spots on the M1/M3 cars.

Also the M7 cars now seem to catch more code flips in areas where only the M1/M3 cars flipped; and with the increase in code flips hence a max brake application.