Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Mr. Harlem Line

How long will it be until the M3 cars start retiring from LIRR service?

by DutchRailnut

who knows , no replacement cars are ordered or designed yet.

by Mr. Harlem Line

Are these cars overhauled like the ones on Metro-North?

by RPM2Night

What kind of overhaul do the MNRR cars have? Interior, or more like the machinery aspect? I think the M1s and M3s here on the LIRR underwent an overhaul on the traction motors and the braking systems recently, but no changes to the interiors.

by Frank

RPM2Night wrote:What kind of overhaul do the MNRR cars have? Interior, or more like the machinery aspect? I think the M1s and M3s here on the LIRR underwent an overhaul on the traction motors and the braking systems recently, but no changes to the interiors.
It would be nice if they made changes to the interiors of the M3 (the interors look kind of dated these days) but I doubt they would overhual them as far as giving changing their interiors. They don't have the money to do that. :(

by Mr. Harlem Line

RPM2Night wrote:What kind of overhaul do the MNRR cars have? Interior, or more like the machinery aspect? I think the M1s and M3s here on the LIRR underwent an overhaul on the traction motors and the braking systems recently, but no changes to the interiors.
They had interior overhauls. The lighting is more brighter, new flooring, new chairs(same style), and a new amenity, a payphone.

by DutchRailnut

The payphoes were removed over a year ago.
The M3 have same lighting as they had right from Budd.

by Mr. Harlem Line

Why did they took out the payphones?

by Otto Vondrak

Because everyone has cell phones now.

-otto-

by 7 Train

Were those the GTE Railfones like those on Amtrak and Metro-North, which only accepted credit cards?

by MACTRAXX

Everyone: There is nothing wrong with the M3s. They have perhaps 20 solid years of life left. They will not be compatible in any way with the M7s as many have noted. The phone I believe indeed was a phone that was credit card usable only. MACTRAXX

by Mr. Harlem Line

20 more years? Are you referring to the M3s on the LIRR or MNR?

by DutchRailnut

both they are same age +/- one year, and maintenance is about the same.