Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MACTRAXX

Phil: I think the LIRR tested the sliding M3 windows as a thought of replacing the M1 drop window. Cars 9259-9260 had this done but had the old drop window re-installed-you can see it noticably on 9260. MACTRAXX
  by N340SG

Was that picture taken within the last 2 months or so, if you know?
There's a reason why I ask this.

Tom

by AmtrakPhill629

I took that picture last month.
  by N340SG

9386 was in HMC within the past couple of months for end cap damage repair. Part of the end cap was replaced, then the whole end cap was primed and painted with gray paint. The LIRR does not have any of the reflective yellow tape left that the rest of the cars have, so the yellow stripe was painted on. So, it's curious that it is gone in your photo.
They'll have to buy much better quality paint if it washed off already.

Tom

by Long Island 7285

Why not just leave it grey, how much longer to it's decomed. the're still 3 M3 units with Blue fronts, and with Less and Less Budd cars the odd's are greatly increasing that they will lead. Leave it plain it's something "unusal" in the bland land of M7s

by Frank

Long Island 7285 wrote:Why not just leave it grey, how much longer to it's decomed. the're still 3 M3 units with Blue fronts, and with Less and Less Budd cars the odd's are greatly increasing that they will lead. Leave it plain it's something "unusal" in the bland land of M7s
There will still be M3s for quite a while.

by MACTRAXX

...maybe it is time to use the super-reflectorized RED that I have mentioned in the past... I have NEVER liked the yellow stripe on the MU cars. TOM: Was that scotchlite sheeting that the LIRR was using on the MUs? Was the LIRR using blue also on the diesel coaches as well as the MNCR M1s overhauled under contract by the LIRR? Just curious..MACTRAXX

by tushykushy

Ahh yes Frank to the rescue on this one. Weeewwww I was worried for a second you wouldn't respond to yet another hard thought M1 thread.

:rolls eyes:

by Frank

tushykushy wrote:Ahh yes Frank to the rescue on this one. Weeewwww I was worried for a second you wouldn't respond to yet another hard thought M1 thread.

:rolls eyes:
Is your comment really necessary?

by BMC

I'm not from the shops, but weren't a lot of the M1's windows replaced with M3 windows because of injuries and repeat problems?

And who can forget that lovely aroma from when the stagnant water which would pool inside the body after leaking in from the M1 window.

by AmtrakPhill629

9829 and 9830 are in yellow. I saw that pair on the Rush Hour 7:39 am to Penn Station last week.
  by N340SG

9829/830 are in the shop, and the end cap stripes are indeed painted yellow now.

by mark777

I second N340SG: I had this pair on my consist a few weeks ago and as I was looking out from the cab that I was in, I could swear that the next car had a fresh coat of yellow paint on the front end. It was 9829, and it was painted not decaled. It makes the M-3 look sort of new compared to the usual bug encrusted front of all our trains! Wouldn't a yellow zebra stripe like the ones used in front of MNR trains make it look better? I have suggested it at work, but nothing has come of it.