• M-7 seating article in Newsday

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by NIMBYkiller

I'm not complaining. I'm just saying it would've made a lot more sense and would've given commuters one less thing to complain about(although they'd find something to replace it with).

And honestly, yes, I would rather ride the old relics.

by JoeLIRR

ide rather ride the old relics my self.

the comuters hate the M7's as NEW trains. just friggen wait, in a few years when the M7's looking more and more like shit, just wait ans see what the public non railfan will have to say. (the commuters liked the M1's when they were new and im shure they had there complaints then)

I understand that they cant get rid of the advertisments, HOW EVER they can get rid of the ADHISIVE adds by putting the adds between a clear plastic cover that is removible to change the adds.

the adhisive advertisments are the first signs of the M7/C3 fleet being trashed.
how much longer till the exterior lights stop working. or is that a FRA requirement n will be fixed for atleast 5 years then forgotton about.
same goes for the LED station desplays and automated announcements.

It will happen, its a matter of time ;-)

by NIMBYkiller

Those stupid automated announcements are so damn annoying! This station is....Bayside. This is the train to...Port Washington. The next station is.......Douglaston. STFU ALREADY!!!!!!

All they need for the announcements is what Long Island bus does. Destination announcement at the door, and then for the stops, they just say the name. Basically, it'd be something like this:

(At the doors only) Long Island Railroad, destination, Port Washington
(Inside the train, as the train approaches the next station station) Bayside

That's it! That's all they need! None of that, "This is the train to" and "This station is" and "The next station is." Just the destination and the name of the next station.

by JoeLIRR

I can agree with that. that automated announcement being annoing, besides, i know of commuters that can name every station on the line that they regulary travel better then some of the crews. so what the big deal w/having that whole sentence caried out. (if your going to miss your stop your going to miss it).

by NIMBYkiller

Well, the announcements are ADA manditory, which is fine by me. It's just that they do the whole stupid sentance.

by mark777

well, if you actually see how many people miss their stops or get on the wrong train, or have people come up to you to ask you what station is next, you would then understand the need to keep the automated system quite repetitive. It is though a bit annoying after a while. Have you ever noticed that the guy yells out the stations when the station name starts with an "H" or "F"?? He actually yells out Hollis in such a manner, that if you were fast asleep, it's a guarantee that you would wake up right away! I actually make fun of it sometimes by making announcements that sound just like the computer!

by Aero_rail_nut

I like the announcments. Yes it can get annoying for daily commuters who ride the rails 50+ weeks a year. But for people who are not familiar with the rail road they can prove quite usefull. Also for people who fall asleep. Riding the PW line I can tell you how many times I nearly missed the Plandome ( I park my car at the plandome station because Im sometimes in a rush) station because I was asleep, but the M7 Announcment woke me up.

Train announcments are nececary, but they have to be clearly worded. I cant count how many times Wantagh has been mis pronounced, slurred, or spoken to fast. I have ridden both the LIRR and MBTA Commuter trains and thoes are 2 citys in which people have HEAVY accents, be it the Lawnguyland accent or the BAAAHSTAN (boston) accent. The conductor needs to be clear in announcing the station. The automated announcment only makes it easy to understand.

BTW Nimby this is li_engineer from the News12 forum...

by NIMBYkiller

"I actually make fun of it sometimes by making announcements that sound just like the computer!"

Oh man! Emfinate was actually telling me of one time he was on a train and the C/R was makin the announcements just like the computer

"But for people who are not familiar with the rail road they can prove quite usefull........Train announcments are nececary, but they have to be clearly worded."

I agree, we need the announcements, but not to the extent where it needs to say the whole damn sentance. And if you fall asleep, well, I hate to be brutally honest, that's your problem.

"BTW Nimby this is li_engineer from the News12 forum..."

Well, aint this a pleasant suprise. Good thing you chose this name instead for here. The another guy here, LI Engineer Bob. Hey, what you doin parkin at Plandome? You must be the only person I know, well, 2nd person I know of, that uses Plandome station. The other one is my friend. She uses it to get to school every day.

by Aero_rail_nut

typically I am driving from ronkonkoma (I work in Ronk, but live in port) to try and catch the weekday 4:35 train out of PW to go to Grad school uptown. But as un-predictable the westbound LIE traffic can be the Plandome station gives me a 5 minute buffer from when it leaves PW.