Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Knife-Switch

Can anyone confirm or deny whether the insulation material in an M-1 contains asbestos???

The day of the Lower Montauk/Subway Bridge Incident, LIRR personel showed up in White Jump Suits and one guy I saw with a mask.... :(

I was begining to think Scully and Mulder were going to pull up. And there definitely was a Hispanic version of Cancer Man with a vest and a radio on-sight. :wink:

However once the "Sardine Cans" were removed, everyone packed up and left, with all sorts of debris still blowing through the yard and a stack of M-1 tops tossed in a corner............

by DutchRailnut

The M1's has glass wool insulation, only asbestos is in hard form in electrical groups.

by Long island Joe

Image :(
  by N340SG

Knife-Switch,

The M-1, as originally equipped, did have a considerable amout of asbestos. The contactor and cam switches had asbestos arc chutes. The OLCB flash board was made of "Transite" asbestos.
All of this material has been replaced over the years with non-asbestos materials.
There are a few other places where asbestos is present, but not cosidered an imminent danger. Some of that was abated on the CCM cars during the modifications. (I.E. asbestos containing pipe wraps, that keep the pipes from abrading in the clamps, were abated and replaced with neoprene grommets.) The arc chutes had to be an immediate concern, as they are removed and cleaned on every 92 day PI, creating a definite friability possibility.
Remember, asbestos is OK as long as you leave it alone or encapsulate it.
It is only a danger if it is "friable", to wit, the fibers can become airborne.
The main fear is that in an accident, such as the roof being sheared off a car in a yard move, some asbestos could be released.
The insulation you are asking about, AFAIK, is just regular insulation, either fiberglass or wool as Dutch mentioned.

Tom

by UN Block

Long island Joe,

Where was that image taken of the M1s?

by BMT

Sir Knife-Switch, me thinks that those 'bridge-crunch' clean-up crews were just being cautious....otherwise it WAS Scully and Mulder, and the aliens have disguised their spaceships as M-1's. :wink:

by Long Island 7285

haha,

roswell, fresh pond now!!

lets go make a block buster hit..

haha.

by Knife-Switch

Well from what I've heard, the Fed's already investigated Fresh Pond Tower & Intergallactic HQ (new enginehouse) and confirmed that no intelligent life forms were present :P :P