• M-1 Railfanning curtain continues to fall

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by N340SG

Frank,

9608 is an overhauled car. If it's ride is bad, it needs to be taken care of.
Could be as simple as load leveler adjustment, or could be complicated.
Perhaps it's already been taken care of.

Tom

by Lirr168

6 more M-1's are headed south of the border - I saw 171 assembling the consist this morning at Holban.

by emfinite

Lirr168,

Can you see the yard from where you live or did you pass by on a train?

Joe

by Lirr168

I saw them passing by on the train. The trip past Holban is the only advantage to taking the West Hempstead branch.

-kyle

by N340SG

Had a nice POOF!! off a decom car recently in the shop.
People have been taking parts off the decom cars, and not insulating the leads that are left hanging. The shoes and shoe beams had not been taken off the decom pair yet, but the heat breakers had been removed for spares, and the line side lead was left touching ground. When the pair was horsed out of the shop to pump the poopies out of the bathroom, KABOOM!! Nice one!! Luckily, no one was near where it let go. The flash and carbon marks went about 3 foot radius.

Perhaps, before the program is done, we'll get smart around here and isolate the high voltage stuff immediately on the decoms. I guess this is rocket science??

Tom

by Clemuel

Tom,

This place is amaising. You wouldn't believe it if you didn't see this stuff yourself every day. Lucky nobody gets killed...

Be careful, man. It ain't getting any better. Lots of new folks and we're not as sharp as we once were either...

Clem
  by N340SG

I certainly am not about to say I've never done a few stupid things around here (I usually find and correct my own stupid mistakes upon double-checking myself), but good Electricians insulate bare ends of wires. I don't care if it is a decom car. Good habits should prevail.

Along those same lines:

Just tracked down a particularly nasty GTL Tuesday that was due to a cut wire touching car body. Some knucklehead did not insulate the cut end of the wire. You must wonder about an "Electrician" who can't take 15 seconds to tape off a bare lead.

Tom
  by N340SG

As of April 26, 2005:

416 M-7s
376 M-1s
172 M-3s

And saw 7435 on flatcar.

Next milestone will be when M-7s are half the EMU fleet, or about 482 cars.
Should be over the summer.
(Will be another sad day for railfan window lovers.)
  by FlipFlap

Hey Tom 340

What's GTL mean? Did I miss somthing?

Flip

by Long Island 7285

M7's have railfan windows and even a seat on the firemans side.

If the Engr wants to or has to ride with the full with cab, cant he drop the steel slate on the cab door. so we can still get our view.

then its not too bad for us. All benifit

GTL

by N340SG

Flip-Flap,

GTL, or Grounded TrainLine, means a low voltage system wire or component is grounded to car body. Ramifications of that can range from benign to problematic. It was discussed at length in a thread in the LIRR forums a while back. Please peruse older threads at your leisure.

Tom
Last edited by N340SG on Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Head-end View

Tom: thanks for the new numbers. Didn't the LIRR already say that half the MU trains running are now M-7's. And yes, it will be a sad day. :(
  by N340SG

They did say that. But certainly, not half the EMU fleet is M-7 yet. They must be making an intentional effort to use the M-7s as much as possible.
One could think of several reasons to use the M-7 as much as possible, not the least of which is their much higher MDBF.

Tom

by njgrptfan

Not to put a morbid spin on things, but speaking of the soon to be old equipment when they all eventually get replaced by the M7 fleet, what ever happened to the cars involved in the 1993 shooting incident with that SON OF A BI**H Colin Fuergeson. Are those cars still in use?
Just curious.

by Long Island 7285

yes they are, I believe that they are M3's there #'s were changed but i dont remember them.