Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by henry6

Will be going to Patchogue soon. Taking 10:24 out of NYP and arrive 11:57. Want to get pics of forking up orders then return west at 1:13P. Can we find lunch quickly nearby or do we tote our own?

by Dave Keller

From what I've been told, you don't want to be walking around Patchogue, especially around the depot area any more.

The area was running downhill back in the early-mid 1970s when I hung around the tower. I've been told it's very bad around there now.

I'd say bring your own lunch and stay around the station facilities. (and don't wave your cameras around conspicuously!)

Dave

by Trains

Ehh Patchogue isn't that bad, I'm from the next town over and in the middle of the day the area is fine. As long as you stay along South Ocean Ave. or Main Street you should be fine. There are numerous small takeout places along South Ocean and a good sit in Chinese restaraunt toward the four corners. If you like ethnic food and speak Spanish, there is a South American type place right by the tracks on the corner of Academy and South Ocean. Numerous types of places to eat, it does have a business district and a lot of office workers have to eat too!
  by henry6

Thanks. That's about what I thought. Two years ago we did a stop over there on the way to Montauk and ate at a place on Main St. uptown. But don't have that much time this time and thought there might be someplace closer. Guess not; will tote lunch in, then. BTW, I know what you mean about the area but we felt safe enough trekking uptown in the middle of the day. Thanks again.

by Dave Keller

And if you're accompanied by another person, that helps too.

Walking alone just makes you a target unless you can pass for one of the "locals" and you stash your camera in a non-camera bag of some sort.

Dave

by Dave Keller

BTW: Is Wah Lum's still around up near Main Street?

How about Karl Ehmer's Pork Store?

Dave
  by henry6

I posted this on the "WANTED" forum, but thought I might add my plight here. Am looking for as recent as possible LIRR Employees Timetable and Instructions.

by BMC

Great Dave... A damning statement like "From what I've heard" (not even a first hand report) and you wipe out the reputation of my former home town on the internet in one fell swoop. All of that from your base of operations in the land of Mickey Mouse. Gee, what do those layover crews do for lunch in the trainman's room? They must fear for their life!

Yes, Patchogue has changed (primarily more of a Latino population in that area), but it's still safe to walk the buisness district, especially during the day. And you don't have to resort to the "Fear City" methods of walking in twos, putting your camera in a paper bag and brown bagging your lunch.

"Wah Lum's" is no longer, but the location is still a very fine Chinese restaurant on South Ocean Ave. Head north from the tower. That would be your closest to the station and the tower. I'm not sure of the pork store which would be just before the Chinese food.. and If you walk up a few more steps to Main Street (the four corners) and turn left ... you'll find the "Brickhouse Brewery" ($$)on the right side. If you turn right ..there's Polo (latino Chicken) and Trio's a (little $$$) on your left side.

Here's my recommendations .. continue north on South Ocean Ave. from the tower and cross over Main Street. On your right side will be some heavenly pizza and heroes at "Del Fiore's" and on your left about 50 paces more is a great Irish Pub called "Reese's".

As far as your safety, just normal common sense should prevail and I would not reccomend too many commercial (Patchogue or otherwise), non-residental areas around train stations after dark.

BMC - Life member, North Patchogue FD and columnist for the Long Island Advance, Patchogue's "Hometown" newspaper

by Notinmyneighborhood

Yes, Karl Ehmer's is still there. I was just there Saturday

http://www.karlehmer.com/locations.html#ny

by badneighbor

Patchogue isn't Bushwick Branch, but you just have to be aware of your surroundings...

by krispy

There used to be a sandwich place across the street from the tower called Chubby's, remember that FEC? The bagle shop is highly recommended, proceed up north from the tower about a couple of blocks. Speaking of old favorites, is that old lady with that Bungalow Bar truck still there in the summer? Toasted almond, ummmmmm...
  by henry6

Bungalow Bar!!! Kowabunga Buffalo Bob!!! Are they even still around??? When my Grandparents lived near the Jamaica Arena back in the 40's and early 50's, my grandfather would take us on walks...sometimes down Liberty Ave. alongside Morris Park, then back north to Jamaica Ave.; sometimes just west on Jamaica Ave. At anyrate, there was a Bungalow Bar garage or yard or staging area or whatever; we always stopped in and got something. If we didn't walk there, we waited for the truck at the house. Oh, our walks sometime were nothing more than to the platforms at LIRR station and watch and watch and watch trains...for a 3-10 year old it endeared the LIRR to my heart as much as my NJ backyard DL&W!
Bungalow Bar! I'll be dipped!!!

by BMC

Chubby's is long gone. Bagel Shop is okay, but has changed hands and Henry mentions that he'll be coming around lunch time so I geared my selections around them.

I mean I could also mention "Sandella's", a great wrap place (up to Main street and a right). And if he came to PD by car, I'd very simply send him to "Pete's" a fantastic luncheonette on East Main Street that has everything from soup to nuts at an affordable price with great people (ask for the owner Nick or his son Gus). A few blocks before "Pete's" is "Two-Morrows" another great Irish pub (ask for Sheila Morrow) on East Main. But both of these are beyond walking distance from the tower and station.

The lady in the Bungalow Bar truck has gone to the big Ice Cream store in the sky. She was in the news once while still driving the truck when the Suffolk Police arrested her for some silly BS charge. They handcuffed her in front of a bunch of kids where she was with her truck. The charges were small (can't remember what they were), but the press had a field day because of the kids getting "traumatized" because their favorite person got handcuffed and they saw it.

by Dave Keller

Bungalow Bar ice cream (and their cute trucks) beat Good Humor and that irritating Mr. Softee and his stupid, non-stop song hands down!!!

"Ching, ching, ching . . . . . ching, ching, ching" sounded a whole lot less annoying and it still got your attention.

Haven't seen a Bungalow Bar truck with red shingled hip roof since I was a kid!

What a great advertising idea when you think about it for back then!

Dave

by Trains

Speaking of Chubby's, I remember there still being a billboard for the establishment right across the platform at the train station. I haven't really been there recently enough to know if it is still there.

I would reccommend Del Fiorie's and the chinese restauraunt right on south ocean. Nothing is too far of a walk from the train station. It may take all of 10 minutes to walk up to Del Fiorie's and maybe 5 to the chinese restauraunt.

I don't live in Patchogue, but my mom used to work there for many years and I think the area does look a lot better now than it did about 10 years ago. It did take a hit when Sweezy's moved out of there location on Main Street, still haven't rebounded from that, but I have heard all kinds of grand plans about developing that location.