• Lower Montauk Division Discussion

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by SwingMan

It can't have been, the incident occourred on a curve. No curve at the former Penny Bridge Station.

lirr415-Peter

P.S. Hope the engineer is alright. Lucky no one is dead.
  by jtunnel

Accident happened on the private crossing off Review Avenue. The tracks do curve there. Live local map of the crossing/site in question. Limited site lines due to the curve and buildings. Penny Bridge station was about 1/4 mile east of that crossing, where REview Avenue turns into Laurel Hill Blvd.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1
  by hammerfang

What does the LIRR use the engine for down there? I thought all freight was handled by the NY&A.
  by Ocala Mike

I think the engine was en route to LIC/HPA for yard moves there.
  by condr

hammerfang wrote:What does the LIRR use the engine for down there? I thought all freight was handled by the NY&A.
Yard moves. LIC
  by Ocala Mike

Passenger cars that make up trainsets; many diesel trains originate/terminate at LIC or HPA, and there is a yard there where they are made up.
  by BMC

As a former Yardmaster of LIC

The drill engine is used for setting over train consists that have discharged passengers on the LIC yard station platforms (as opposed to HPA) in the morning rush and placing them for the eastbound trains in the afternoon rush. It also does kick out and add ons of crippled or replacement cars and engines. Also used if needed to remove/return same to Richmond Hill. Not to mention position repair cars for MofE forces and other things.
  by SwingMan

commuterjoe wrote:Does it really take 15 minutes to go from LIC to HPA???

No, thats the departure time out of HPA. I'll stick to 507 if I want to ride the LM.
  by mirrodie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7rofw4rWkU

Just saw this video which is tagged for may 14 2010. it says its the last eastbound run on he lower Montauk.

What exactly does this mean? it will never be used again?
  by RRJS3

There is still one AM westbound run that uses it (train 507 from Oyster Bay).
  by SwingMan

Train 560 was moved to the Main Line (With Hunterspoint Avenue stop) with the schedule change due to train 662's cutback to a scoot
  by mirrodie

Wow. So if I took the sole westbound into LIC, just for kicks, no way to hightail it back?

Up until recently, were there any eastbounds that went up the lower montauk? Or did all the eastbounds from LIC hit Hunterspoint?

(last time I rode it was 10 years ago.)
  by Ocala Mike

Huh? You never could "hightail it back." HPA and LIC are only served during rush hours, so the plan of attack if you want to take a "joyride" on 507 remains the same as ever. Take it into LIC, then walk to the V-J station for the #7 train towards Flushing, and "hightail it back" via Woodside.