Railroad Forums 

• Looking to be hired as a carman after high school

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#139154  by GN_RS-3

Ok,
all railroad employees, tell me if I have a good chance of being hired by BNSF as a Carman..

Here is my info:

2 years welding high school-received all c's
3 years metal fabrication class-received all c's
2 years carpentry class-received B's and C's
have read AAR rules for freight car repair (Got a free manual from AAR)
average grade in classes-C
Current age-16
age 1 year from now-17
Physical limitations-Cystic Fibrosis (Not severe)
Current Job status: Employed-Hotel
Highest grade level completed to date: 10

So, be honnest, would BNSF be interested in me? Tell me by voting in the poll above!
Last edited by GN_RS-3 on Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #139273  by farmertim

I am not a farmhand, But I have owned and operated a farm for 21 years. I am fixing to embark on one of the biggest changes in my life and you want to complain about my posts, that are very legitimate questions! You need to lighten up, and if your server can't handle all the posts, get a bigger one.

#139355  by Otto Vondrak

Poll deleted by Site Admin (me). Note: I spoke to the people affected by this thread. I removed the off-topic material disagreements.

I think what our friend GN RS3 is trying to ask is, with his background, can he be hired by BNSF? I'm not a railroader, but I will guess this: your grades may or may not come into play... I dont know how CF would affect your daily life (you will be required to take a physical to work for the railroad)... I think your ability to be hired as a carman would hinge on any mechanical experience you have and your ability to show up and do your job well day in and day out. You probably have as good a chance as anyone else to be hired.

Try to improve your grades, and check with the railroad and see what their specific requirements are.

-otto-