Railroad Forums 

• Looking for railroadiana shows in NYC area

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1077588  by 3rdrail

The big one in West Springfield, Mass at the Big E is coming up in 5 months !
 #1077602  by umtrr-author

This one:

http://www.railroadhobbyshow.com/

January 26 & 27, 2013. Which should be the week between the NFL AFC & NFC Championships and the Super Bowl.

There are some shows in the New York Metro during "Train Show Season" but I'm not familiar with them anymore. Chances are there will be a Greenberg Show or two, but they are hit and miss and have a lot of non-trains.
 #1077999  by B44NYC

CarterB wrote:Any Railroadiana exhibits, swap meets or shows in the greater NYC area?
Here's some other hobby shows in the greater NYC area

1) Greenburg Toy & Train Shows that are usually in the New Jersey Convention Center in Edison NJ
2) The Great Westchester Toy & Train Show that's in White Plains at the Westchester Convention Center, upstate NY
3) Northwest Jersey Train-O-Rama in Dover NJ
4) 12th Annual Mass Transit Modeler's Convention Rutgers Gymnasium, 130 College Ave, New Brunswick, NJ, Oct. 20th

If you own a car or can get down to Timonium Maryland, there's also the Great Scale Model Train Show, which has a huge setup before Xmas and is coming up in Oct.,
Otherwise like the other posters stated, the Amherst show in Jan. located in Springfield, Mass. is a great 2 day show.
 #1078133  by CNJ999

B44NYC wrote:
CarterB wrote:Any Railroadiana exhibits, swap meets or shows in the greater NYC area?
Here's some other hobby shows in the greater NYC area

1) Greenburg Toy & Train Shows that are usually in the New Jersey Convention Center in Edison NJ
2) The Great Westchester Toy & Train Show that's in White Plains at the Westchester Convention Center, upstate NY
3) Northwest Jersey Train-O-Rama in Dover NJ
4) 12th Annual Mass Transit Modeler's Convention Rutgers Gymnasium, 130 College Ave, New Brunswick, NJ, Oct. 20th

If you own a car or can get down to Timonium Maryland, there's also the Great Scale Model Train Show, which has a huge setup before Xmas and is coming up in Oct.,
Otherwise like the other posters stated, the Amherst show in Jan. located in Springfield, Mass. is a great 2 day show.
CarterB - One really needs to be a bit more specific about just what scale, or type, of items they are seeking when asking a question about local area shows. While probably all the above mentioned venues will offer much to the Lionel tinplate entusiast, none of these as I recall have been very exciting when it came to scale items, railroadiana exhibits, or operating scale show layouts.

For Ho or N scale the two best shows in the region (the only two in my opinion) are #1 Springfield MA and perhaps #2 Cheshire CT just east of Waterbury. The Timonium MD show really IS the best for scale stuff anywhere, but it is at least 200 miles from NYC.

CNJ999
 #1078436  by umtrr-author

The Jersey Central Chapter's annual show might be a good bet for railroadiana. My understanding from my dad is that there's a mix of "real railroad" stuff and models. I've personally not been to their show for a number of years.

It's usually held at Mother Seton High School in Clark, New Jersey not far from the Garden State Parkway Exit 135.

This is the link, though the 2013 information is not yet posted: http://www.jcrhs.org/rrshow.html

Meanwhile, I and a few friends wi'll be headed to the Buffalo Central Terminal show next weekend, as a social event and to check on restoration progress made. If I get any good deals or see anything I'm interested in, that's a bonus.
 #1078628  by Otto Vondrak

You might want to check out: http://rrmodelcraftsman.com/timetable/ and http://www.railfan.com/timetable

CarterB wrote:Not interested in model train shows. Only railroadiana from real railroads, I am a collector.
Then you're in the wrong forum, because this is "Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam." :-)

-otto-