• Long Island Volunteers to paint 'The Train on the LIE'

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by nyandw

Saturday August 14, 2004 9:00am

Volunteers from the local Train and Historical Organizations are encouraged to participate. Holtsville, NY August 5, 2004: The Cable TV Show "The Train Show" will be starting Phase I of a project to help beautify the Long Island Rail Road Parlor Car that is located at the rest area on the LIE between exits 51 & 52. With $800 of paint donated by Sherwin-Williams in hand, volunteers from historical and railroad organizations are encouraged to participate. Richard said that Steve Torborg, President of the Friends of Locomotive #35 inspired him to take this project on. The Long Island Convention & Visitors Bureau has a 'Long Island Visitor Information Center' in the train car is perfectly situated to educate people about the 'railroad themed visitor attractions' on Long Island. Richard would like to have a 'Train Theme' incorporated in the re-design of the rest area that is scheduled in the near future. Please contact us in advance if you are interested in helping out. The color theme for the day is 'Glossy Brown'. The Train Show will be videotaping this event !

. Call Richard Einhorn 631-736-2536 http://www.TheTrainShow.com
. Volunteers should wear appropriate clothing & bring a box lunch and
beverages (no alcohol)
. This project is to benefit the Long Island Convention & Visitors
Bureau & Sports Commission.
. Some paint rollers, throw away trays and small ladders will be
helpful
  by Mr rt

Hay, Wait a minute, I thought the tourist buearu is SELLING that coach.

If nobody buys it, they'll scrap it, but it's leaving that LIE site.

by Richard Glueck

Is this a Parlor Car or an MP54? I thought the car was one of the historical collection that had been misappropriated. Does this car belong in one of the steam collections.

by Dave Keller

The car is an MP54.

Definitely not a parlor, heavyweight or otherwise.

Dave Keller

by belpaire

If we want to pick nits, I believe the car is actually an unpowered P54.

Roger

by jayrmli

The car was a steam hauled ping-pong car, not an MP54.

The car was originally one of those preserved in the 1970's, and part of the "Noah's Ark" collection of preserved equipment. Evenutually, most of the pieces have found a home elsewhere, some in with RMLI's collection, and some were purchasec by municipalities. I believe this one went to Suffolk County, who turned it into a tourist center.

Jay

by Dave Keller

You're absolutely correct . . .

The nits have been picked

It is a class P54.

My error.

Dave Keller

:wink:

by Richard Glueck

SO much for nits, now onto the noses....

Is this car salvageable as a proper coach to run behind an LIRR steam loco?