Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by NIMBYkiller

Had 2 jobs to apply for today, one at the Port Jeff-Bridgeport Ferry, one at Waterway in Weehawken, Nj.

Took 2 buses to Hicksville, just got the 8:36 by 30 seconds. Took it to Port Jeff. For a eastbound in the mornin rush, this thing was packed. 4 cars long I think, about half the seats taken to Syosset, where about 1/3rd the pax got off. Stony Brook also had a good amount of people getting off. Still, by the time we reached Port Jeff, we were still 1/4th full, pretty good if you ask me, especially for an eastbound morning train.

Took the bus to the ferry. Later, got the bus back to the train. Took the 11:40 to Hicksville, switched to an M7 to NYP. Got the ferry to Port Imperial, went to the office, came back to manhattan, got the FREE shuttle bus to NYP, and got the 3:49 to Port Washington(I ran into my mom on the train, go figure).

Very long, but very fun, day.

Those C3s are really nice. I still miss the old stuff though.

Just wondering. Why did LIRR waste the money buildin 2 high level platforms at Greenlawn when they only use one?

by M1 9147

Jared, to answer your question, in 1985 when the platforms Smithtown and west were elevated, Greenlawn was at the time a manual block siding devoted for train 655 back then. That train used that siding, so the platform was built to eventually accomodate a controlled siding that never came to suffice. There have been talks about making that area into a remote switch controlled by Divide, but you will never see that happen for quite some time.