Railroad Forums 

• Locomotive sound on DC

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1106972  by Montrealrail1

I'm expect to receive a new locomotive in febuary for my birthday..
I just had the new this moring...
But I do not have any DCC power or control on my layout,all working with the old DC mode,that I use to do since I began in train models,actually,converting all my stuff will be very expensive,I have more than 40 locomotives and only 5 of them are DCC ready,with the quick plug.

But friend of mine will comme in Montreal in Febuary and he buyed for me a locomotive with sound,I don't know with compagny made it,but I know it's a SD70M-2.
that mean,Athearn Genesis or MTH..
My question is,if I run a locomotive with sound on a DC powered track,it is bad for it,should I put a jumper in,or I do not have to change nothing?
And for the sound,do it will work,even if I run in DC?
I want to be sure,cause I don't want to waste a brand new locomotive..

for sure,I'm starting a new layout to replace the actual one,with 2 mainlines,on in DC and the other one in DCC and convertible from one mode to the other..

If anyone had already run a DCC locomotive on a DC track,do I hav risk to damage the decoder in the locomotive,and do the sound will work or will be at risk to be damaged too..
 #1108302  by Backshophoss

All decoders allow DC operation as a default setting from the factory,require higher dc voltage to work(7-9 vdc),
sound decoders will run an "automated sequence" starting around 8 volts to the the limit of the throttle(12-13 volts)
they will move slower then the regular DC loco,and the "playable effects" like horn and bell may or may not be usable
unless some sort of "remote control" for the effects is supplied.

The real Basic DCC Systems(like EZ Command) may not work well with sound decoders,both Digitrax and NCE
offer basic starter systems that can operate all 28 fuctions avaible on sound decoders
MTH decoders follow NMRA DCC Standards,but can be "pickly" at times,MTH tries to push "their" DCS System.
 #1108623  by Desertdweller

MRC makes a DC power pack that will actuate sounds on sound-equipped DCC locos.

My situation is very similar to yours: large DC locomotive roster, comfortable with DC. I lost much of my hearing in locomotive cabs due to "sound effects". I've heard enough.

Les
 #1108680  by Montrealrail1

I will have a check on MRC powerpack,and I could chek out for a DCC starter kit,that cost less the 200$,and make my new layout with both operation mode..