Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Donovan

O.K. folks, I am currently in the process of being tested for the Engineer Position. Since I am an outsider, I want to find out more. Like is it worth it? (Don't get me wrong, I love trains like everyone else), but is it smart for a 45 year old career changer to start this training program at this point in my life? (re: benefits, schedule, etc.). I would appreciate any advice.
DonovanH
  by eddiebear

Go for it.
If you qualify for an Engineer's position, you'll enjoy good pay and good benefits, most of which have been obtained for you through the hard work of brothers (and sisters) who have gone before you.
New hires, of course, start at the bottom of the roster so you'll probably be expected to work night, weekend and holiday jobs for a spell. However, the entire railroad industry has a big bulge in retirements coming in the next few years, so you'll move right along. (Some roads didn't plan their mergers and acquistions well and are hiring right now.) You'll be on a five day job with regular hours in no time at all.
You're at the age at which I just about began thinking of retirement, which I expect to do this yr. on 12/31, a couple of weeks after my 60th birthday. I began on the B & M 8/23/68 in an NHL (No Heavy Lifting) job. My Railroad Retirement is about 60% higher than someone with the same earnings at a Social Security job. I did pay a ton more money into the Railroad Retirement system, however.
Take advantage of whatever is offered, follow orders, don't be too vocal in you opinions of the management and you should do well. You are very fortunate that you have been chosen from off the street to be a candidate for Loco Engineer.
By the way, you will have skills that are transferrable to other railroads throughout the USA and Canada.
  by Donovan

Thanks. Wow, sounds great! Now I gotta get back to studin' if I want to make it through. (By the way, this is by far the hardest thing I have ever had to study for- including 2 Masters degrees.) I am putting in at least 5-6 hours per day. So I guess I was considering my current career path or this. I am sick of the present 'white collar' stuff. Obviously this is far more excitiing than most everything. I guess I was scared of the inconsistent hours, etc. etc. I am not exactly sure about benefits, pay, etc, etc, but I will learn as I go on.

What ever other info you can help with is greatly appreciated.

by Nasadowsk

Realize, you'll probbably never 'die' on the road (does this even ever HAPPEN on the LIRR???), and even if you are running weird hours - you're on Long Island! Never far from home. And anyway, I'd imagine the LIRR's pretty much predictable, it is afterall highly scheduled. It's not like you'll be spending a few hours at some stange motel in the middle of who knows where. Or stuck broken down in some area where there are more cows than people (yes, such places exist!).

As for getting in? I've heard the qualificaton tests are brutal, at best. Supposedly the hardest of any RR in the US. But don't let that deter you :)

Everyone I've ever talked to said it was worth it, and really, even though us comuters can be a pain, it's probbably the best working conditions of any RR in the region (though that could be said for NJT of MN, I guess).

Plus, you always get a view out the front of the MUs!!! ;)

Good luck!
  by Head-end View

I thought the LIRR didn't hire engineers off the street, so to speak. Previous discussions on this forum, we were always told you had to get hired in some other capacity, and later you could move to your craft of choice, but that you always had to be previously employed to be considered for engineer training. Has that policy changed? :-)

by n2qhvRMLI

Nasadowsk

Yeah, they "die on the road" on the LIRR, and out where the cows (and horses) are too! :-D

The last time my buddies on the Mainline job died was during the nights following last winter's heavy snowfalls. Once actually was in the middle of farm fields and horse pastures between Laurel and Mattituck Station. The engine died, the police had to remove the few passengers on board by 4-wheel drive and a protect engine had to make its way out east to tow the consist back to KO. The crew "died" before it was over :P

I recall other friends telling me about incidents that delayed the train out east on the Mainline and the crew "died" and had to have a fresh crew brought out to run the train home. It happens everywhere when delays are met and the clock keeps ticking.

de Don, n2qhvRMLI

by mark777

Well, congratulations, you will have a great job. I will be eventually entering the engine service department soon down the road, but for now I will just continue to be a breakman. But no joke, the first few years you will be screwed with the hours and reporting locations, but it is all worth it. As an engineer, you have many ways to make good money, you have a great union, great benefits, great pension, and job security! Just to get your foot onto the LIRR is an accomplishment enough. It's not an easy process to go through, ( don't know what stage you're in as of this moment with the engineer program), but if you're just starting, you will be studying a whole lot, but trust me, it's all worth it. You will also be working with a lot of great people. Very rarely would you find yourself with someone who is not pleasing to work with. Good Luck, and hope to see you around.

by bluebelly

I am assuming by dying you mean what we call outlawing (on duty for more then 11hrs and 59min). Two crews got stuck on the Montauk branch west of Amaganset during the President's Day blizzard 2 years ago. They both outlawed and were rescued by truck. So it does happen, but is s rare and in all likelyhood it will never happen to you during your career. Also during really serious events the RR can declare an emergency and suspend hours of service. As was the case on Sept 11.

by Peanuts

Take my advice: if you get the chance work hard and you will not regret it. Granted, some days are worse the others, but I have to admit I dont regret taking my chance when it was given to me. Studying can be hard, and sometimes you dont feel like your going to make it, let alone ever do it all, but you will. Its like anything, put your time in and you will be rewarded. I have met many great people along the way, and I have fun going to work almost every day. Maybe someday you will too, who knows someday you might be my trainee :-)
  by Donovan

Yea, well the studying is the most intensive thing I have ever done. It would have been FAR easier to go for a law degree or doctorate...but no way as cool. Anyway, if I make it though the next step, then it is on to 14 more weeks of torture. Then a full year, all in good fun. But I've never drank so much coffee in my live. Thanks for all the encouragement guys!

Any web sites dedicated to engineers/conductors employees, etc.???