• LOCO. IN RIVER

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by chief

DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHAT LOCOMOTIVE THE NYS&W PUT IN THE RIVER IN LITTLE FERRY, NJ. I WAS TOLD IT ROLLED OFF THE TURNTABLE.OR IS THIS MORE RR BS

by Steve F45

when did this happen? i've never heard of it before.
  by chief

I WAS TOLD BY A RIVER LINE ENGINEER THAT IT HAPPENED 3 OR 4 WEEKS AGO. THATS ALL I KNOW. THANKS-----CHIEF

by Alcoman

I suspect that this is a TALL story as it would be a river navigation hazard and the EPA would be requiring that the RR pull the engine out to reduce pollution.
As I recall, the turntable is not that close to the river either. I will check Google Earth and see if anything is seen at The turntable.

by Alcoman

The river is too far away from the river. Somebody was yanking your chain.

by NJ Vike

Maybe an April Fools Joke?

by N.Y. narrow guage

Maybe you saw sub, not a loco I KNOW ITS THE LOCH NESS ,
PAYING A VISIT. :-D :-D :-D :-D :wink:

by Alcoman

That's not a mya boat, that's U boat!

by GOLDEN-ARM

Alcoman wrote:The river is too far away from the river. Somebody was yanking your chain.
And the turntable was too far from the turntable!!! :-D
The pit is always filled with water, maybe it rolled into the turntable pit. The river is several hundred feet from the TT, and the speed needed to reach the water, could not be obtained, from any of the leads, facing towards the river. We used to feed the fish, and turtles in the pit, with water being almost 3 feet deep, in the center. Regards :wink:

by GOLDEN-ARM

I just "Google Earthed" the TT, and no locos seen, and no damage to trailers around pit. No marks on ground, and no sign of any derailment, or runaway loco. On a sadder note, only one lead left to TT, with all signs of roundhouse, and pit tracks being obliterated. :(

by washingtonsecondary

The turntable may be to far from the river, but 7/16th of an inch is all that seperates you and the CAPS LOCK KEY.

by washingtonsecondary

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:I just "Google Earthed" the TT, and no locos seen, and no damage to trailers around pit. No marks on ground, and no sign of any derailment, or runaway loco. On a sadder note, only one lead left to TT, with all signs of roundhouse, and pit tracks being obliterated. :(
How often is Google Earth updated?

by CJPat

I believe Google Earth says that the photos maybe up to 3 yrs old.

by washingtonsecondary

Makes sence. This morning, I looked at my parents house on Google Earth (something they find very creepy) and saw a white car that was first my sister's then mine. This car was was wrecked 3 years ago. So there is no way these pictures are that new.

by RichM

So is the consensus some conspiracy? Does anyone out there think a locomotive could find its way into the Hackensack River or Overpeck Creek, and no one would notice? First of all, the turntable is pretty far from the water, and the engine facility that was there wassn't exactly high speed trackage. Then, the water's not that deep. Third, the oil slick would be visible for miles. And it's not like a newspaper isn't published almost right across the river. And, er ah, how could the railroad suddenly not account for an asset, no matter how old? Google Earth's photos may be a few years old, but unless I'm mistaken, all the old RS-1's, -3's, S-2's were all accounted for by that time. Somebody was either pulling your leg, or repeating some tale from the distant past. Although I would like to see Nathan Fenno explaining this...