Railroad Forums 

• LOCO. IN RIVER

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#236881  by CJPat

For us that aren't too familiar....Nathan Fenno?

#236936  by RichM

Mr. Fenno's been with DO in Cooperstown for at least fifteen years. On legal matters, he's traditionally been the company's spokesman. If you look at the thread about the oil spill in Ridgefield Park, he's the guy the press goes to. I was laughing to myself thinking of him trying to explain a locomotive in the Hackensack... then again, I think he might have been the guy explaining how the Alcos flipped from the ice and snow being plowed onto the right of way on the Northern Division many years ago. Anyone remember?

#237062  by cjvrr

RichM,

I remember the daul Alco flippings and have photos of the units in Binghamton later in that winter. One flipped on the right side, one on the left. That was the end of those units.....

Chris

#237092  by RichM

Thanks Chris. I remember the photos in Railpace, and wondered why they elected to scrap them... they were the 420's weren't they?

#237142  by Alcoman

They were 430's # 3002 and 3004

#237248  by RichM

Thanks, as soon as I posted, I realized the 420's were in the 2000 numbering sequence, and there where, what, five 430's at one time? I confused myself with the wrecks and forgot there were more in the stable.

Rich

#237315  by trainfreak

I do remember a few months back one of the MLW's sprung a leak in the fuel tank and the spill container overflowed and fuel went into the Hackensack River...could that have been it?

#237338  by RichM

Jeff, yes, that's right. There's a short thread further down the list, someone from The Bergen Record got a statement from Mr. Fenno. I haven't heard or seen anything since then, but I'm sure there will be a citation at some point.

Rich

#237630  by Idiot Railfan

Wasn't there some problem with locomotive fuel getting into the river in Little Ferry recently? Could that be what we're thinking of?

#237646  by RichM

My fault, I let the thread meander. The oil spill did happen, it was a result of a broken fuel connection on one of the Cartier Alcos. The engine never left the rails... but you're right, maybe that's where this tale originated.

Rich