Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Passenger

This morning the Metra bi-level car I was in had them.

I never saw that before. Or never noticed, but this time one of them was turned on. A quick check of adjacent ones were all broken, and many were visibly broken.

An experiment that was abandoned?
  by c604.

That's pretty much it. The cars delivered in 1996 or so are the only group that have them. And it was stated that as they go through overhaul, those reading lights will be removed.
  by doepack

c604. wrote:
That's pretty much it. The cars delivered in 1996 or so are the only group that have them. And it was stated that as they go through overhaul, those reading lights will be removed.
And good riddance. They can be found in the 7400 trailers and 8400 cabs (most of which are on UP), and most of them don't work. Seems like they were just a "throw-in" from Amerail at the time of construction, but they've never served any useful purpose...
  by byte

I think Metra has been purposely leaving them with burned-out bulbs so that when they do take them out, they're not missed (because no one uses them). If they really wanted them in the cars, they'd get LED replacements which would never burn out.