Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by LIRailfan79

http://www.richegreen.com/LIRR.pdf

is this track map (see link above) what the assistant conductors must memorize and draw from memory in order to qualify as a conductor?
(not this SPECIFIC map,but whatever the current version is)
how long does it usually take to memorize the entire thing and draw it (it looks very intimidating!)

by Dave Keller

Cany any of you LIRR employees provide me with an effective date for those physical characteristics maps?

I have a set that is dated. This set is not.

If you don't wish to post it for security reasons, I understand.

You can contact me directly at [email protected]

I won't mention whether it's current or not to anyone.

There must be enough of youse gize out there that can vouch for my not being a terrorist!!! :wink:

Thanx!

Dave Keller

by Dave Keller

BTW: To answer your question, you've got to know ALL the maps, not just one specific one, plus all the signal aspects in the operating instructions as well as the operating instructions, PLUS the book of rules.

Then there's air brake instruction, car operation, etc.

Did I leave anything out? It's been a long time and some things may have changed.

Dave Keller

P.S. You also have to memorize my LIRR book. There will be a test! :wink:

by lirrmike

Ok, I'm ready. I know the last item with my eyes closed! :wink:

Mike

by jayrmli

One other thing you need to memorize verbatim are the definitions at the beginning of the rulebook. When I qualified, there were 47 of them. Most were fairly easy to get after awhile, and now they're burned into my brain and I can recall them word for word with a little bit of reviewing.

Soon after I qualified, they added about 12 more relating to Roadway Worker Protection that only a true brainiac would be able to memorize! Glad I qualified when I did!

Jay

by LIRailfan79

jay, when they ask you to draw the physical characteristics map. exactly what does that mean? are you basically making a photo-copy of whats in the link on my first post? or is it very different?