• LIRR third rail power supply

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Nasadowsk

BART's 1kv, not 750V DC. Maybe the LA red line is 750? But that line was short and built so LA residents could feel like they lived in a 'real' city (see the Baltimore and Miami systems...)

by alcoc420

Dukeoq:

Any lasting effects from nearly being electrocuted? Any burns, lasting headaches, etc.? Or have any things shown up later in life that you think might be partly related to the current? I am not an attorney, or trying to imply some kind of liability, but there might be some readers of this who fit those categories, so if you would rather not answer I understand. Just curious. That was one heck of an experience.

by Nasadowsk

DC at those voltages can do nasty burns both internal and external. I've heard from NJT.people that the old 3kvDC system was in reality just as nasty as the 27.6kv that replaced it. I've also heard 25hz systems in particular are bad, because the frequency is just a hair above what your muscles can react to.

I'm curious as to how much 60hz (or years ago, 25hz) component rides on the third rail, as the rectification is likely far from clean. I've heard parts of the NEC ride on a DC offset due to the interactions between the LIRR and PATH's systems with the catenary. Actuaqlly, I'd imagine third rail in general is pretty diry - I know NJT's catenary can be really dirty at times...

by Dave Keller

JJ developed an insatiable thirst for Brooklyn beer and a deep hatred for the old mail dock!! :wink:

Just kiddin'

Dave

by Long Island 7285

That can happen to any of us who come too close to comfort to the mighty and most respected 3rd rail. That's one not to play games with, near or around.

by Dave Keller

Many times I saw rotted, or almost rotted or pretty bad-condition wooden guards above the 3rd rail and actually saw people stand on it to get over the rail!!!

Big shock (no pun intended) if that rotten guard came down with the person's weight!

Always step over . . . . .and make sure you're clear. I walked numerous trips between Jamaica station, track 8 and the Richmond Hill Storage yard, stepping over 3rd rails and keeping my feet away from switch points and being aware of oncoming trains.

It's as safe as you make it.

Dave

by Dave Keller

Of course, something like what happened to JJ is unexpected and the unexpected could do you in.

We're all happy he's here to tell us his great anecdotes! :wink:

Others haven't been so lucky.

Dave

by dukeoq

alcoc420 wrote:Dukeoq:

Any lasting effects from nearly being electrocuted? Any burns, lasting headaches, etc.? Or have any things shown up later in life that you think might be partly related to the current? I am not an attorney, or trying to imply some kind of liability, but there might be some readers of this who fit those categories, so if you would rather not answer I understand. Just curious. That was one heck of an experience.
Just a little 'light' headed for awhile.
I had no apparent physical damage from this experiance and even fathered three more kids afterwards :P

by One of One-Sixty

It amazing, when I am out at NASSAU I see the maintance guys actually standing on top the third rail all the time. I just sit and wonder sometimes.

Yes it is live cause a train would go by moments before or after.

by pennsy

Hi All,

Once bitten, twice shy. Obviously you learned your lesson.

by dukeoq

One of One-Sixty wrote:It amazing, when I am out at NASSAU I see the maintance guys actually standing on top the third rail all the time. I just sit and wonder sometimes.

Yes it is live cause a train would go by moments before or after.
Yes!! It can be done--V-E-R-Y C-A-R-E-F-U-L-Y.
I'm sure they don't step up to it, leaving one foot on the ground with one on the rail. Standing both feet on the rail will not comlete the circuit.

One-sixty, don't try it at home---or anyplace else, for that matter.

by Long Island 7285

Wasn't the theory is they stand both feet on the rail and the same split second it will not complete the circut and you will not get zapped?

the 3rd rail, It's a force and power to be greatly respected.

by Lirr168

It's Physics 101, gents: the body is a rather poor conductor on its own, and when you add the resistance provided by footwear, it is extremely poor. Thus, standing directly on the thrid rail would not prove problematic, the getting up there would be however: when one foot is on the rail and the other is on the ground, the ground serves to create a continuous circuit, which allows the current to circulate through the body; when this happens, the continued force of the current renders the affected person unable to seperate themselves from the circuit and literally fries the internal organs, which ultimately leads to death.

by pennsy

Hi LIRR,

At best you are gambling, with your life. At worst, you will get yourself fried. Let's say you are sweating for some reason, really bad news. Let's say it is raining, and your are wet, or even slightly damp. Let's say it is snowing, and there is ice all around, really bad news. Or in short, forget taking chances and assume you will get fried. As I stated earlier, co-workers of my cousins have witnessed such tragedies. These fellas got too comfortable and lax with their jobs and made a mistake, and six hundred volts of DC bit them, real hard. And yes, they left families with young kids. Not too smart. If you are going to make a mistake, make it in the direction of too much safety. Can't go wrong with being OVERLY cautious.