Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Which LIRR paint scheme do you prefer most?

Blue/Yellow (current)
14%
Blue/White (1990s,80s,late 70s)
32%
Gray/Orange (Pre-1980)
50%
Blue/Yellow (70s paint scheme)
5%
  by LIRR04

Does anyone have pictures of a GP38, Alco FA, or any other odd locomotive pulling the Bi-Level Coaches
Last edited by LIRR04 on Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Indiana_Doc

I like the blue/white scheme! I loved the double white stripes on the GP-38's and the blue strip on the M1/3's. What can I say, Im a child of the 80's.

Indiana_doc

by NIMBYkiller

Damn, that was a tough call for me. I love both the Gray and Orange paint and then also the yellow and blue paint that was on the geeps. The white and blue was also a nice paint.

by Dave Keller

I'll throw a monkey wrench into the works and say I liked the Tichy scheme. (Light grey and white with red pilots and large, battleship-style numbers along the nose [C-liners] or side louvers [H16-44s, RS1s] and that cool shadowed map under the cab window.) :wink:

Actually, I was always partial to the orange and gray, especially when they were freshly washed and the orange was shiny!!!

Never, ever could get used to the MTA funky yellow and blue. While I'm sure the yellow ends were good for visibility, I just never liked them. Then, when the blue started to fade and get "chalky" it really made the units look poor. The unwashed road dirt took care of that all by itself. It didn't need any extra "help!"

Dave Keller

by Paul

PennCentral black with "Blushing Worm logo!. Oops, wrong forum.

To further add to Dave's monkey wrench ...by far, Brunswick Green G5s, gold pinstriping on Cab, tender and drive wheels, light gray smokebox with the black door, Tuscan red pax cars with black roofs. Worlds Fair for diesels, Platinum & blue (no yellow, remember those days?) on the FAs, although the MTA blue & white wave on the Centuries was really good looking too. I wonder how an RS-3 would look that way?????
BYW, Does anybody remember when the FAs were always pointed east?

by Dave Keller

Yup!

FAs always pointed east.

RS3s or C420s on the west end.

By 1972, they were interchangeable as depicted below on the west end of the train at Ronkonkoma (there's a C420 on the east end.):

Dave Keller
  by kro52

Actually they started out with the FA on the east end and discovered that the C-420's and RS3's were developing traction motor suspension bearing failures due to the "uphill" climb going east. The FA's were then put on the west end to remedy the problem.

KRO52

by Paul

I am not sure as to why the direction of travel would take a toll on the motor suspension bearings. Infact, I don't think that statement is a valid one. I heard years back it had more to do with locomotive servicing. Oh well...
BTW Dave, that FA looks real good. I was alway worried about getting run over on that overpass so I didnt go up there but I did once climb the signal that was just east of the station to get a photo of the RS3s coming from the east into KO. No one ever said a word to me about it. I should have some more '70s slides ready to put up on the net sometime next week.
Last edited by Paul on Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

by jayrmli

Never heard that one either. They switched because it was easier to refuel the engines at Richmond Hill with the locomotive on the east end.

Jay
  by kro52

While it is true, having the pack on the west end for fueling was more convient, the suspension bearing problem was a fact as I was there during that time in the wheel shop at Morris Park.

by Dave Keller

Paul:

That was one of the shakiest trestles I've ever walked on.

It was a great vantage point for photography, however, everytime a car or truck went over it, the entire structure shook.

Although there was a weight restriction, smaller trucks did go over the trestle.

If you were standing up there, it was quite a memorable experience. Also, it was very narrow, so it didn't leave you much room. Sometimes you thought the seat of your pants would be rubbed off by a passing truck.

The bridge was a steel structure, with wooden planks which, over the years, were covered with asphalt (blacktop).

Glad you liked the shot. Looking forward to your slide views being posted.

Dave Keller

by RRChef

That really is a great shot of Ronkonkoma. Sad to say that in the 32 years since it was taken, that scene is almost unrecognizable. The area has become nothing but one big parking lot. Oh well, thats progress.