Railroad Forums 

• LIRR P72 FunaroCamerlengo kit-experience?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1131140  by No Door Light

I have a bunch of these kits that I bought years ago fro Willis hobby. They are about 85% done, and I bought them with the IHC trucks. Searching around, the walthers trucks are out of stock everywhere. Rapido and Bethlehem car works do have trucks that would look pretty good on these models. Good luck with the rest of your build.
 #1131334  by mirrodie

NODoorLight, how many did you get? Car to post some pics of how yours currently look? Can you add a few up close shots of the car ends, near the floorboards and the stairs? Need a fresh perspective of how they might fit together. I emailed F and C and no reply....

I haven't searched yet extensively but I need 4 pair of trucks. How many kits did you acquire? I'll check rapido and Bethlehem. These are all available at Walthers/com? Is there a specific truck I should be looking for?

Appreciate it. Gonna do a little sanding now...
 #1137307  by No Door Light

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. Mine are in the same assembly phase as yours, so I haven't gotten to the floor part either. I bought 6 p72s and 6 pings which are also at the same assembly stage. I checked walthers and it seems that any passenger trucks that would look right on the p72s are out of stock. Seems like You will have better luck going direct through Bethlehem or Rapido.
 #1184057  by loekie

Does anyone have specific names or model numbers for any of the manufacturers of the trucks mentioned in this thread? I see that possible manufacturers include Walthers, IHC, Coach Yard, Bethlehem, and Rapdio. I've looked on those manufacturers web pages and not all of the available trucks have pictures. Any info that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, F&C is still manufacturing the P72. They are about $60. I've just purchased a bunch from a hobby shop here on Long Island. He has been placing orders for as much as he can get, he does have stock. According to him, F&C produces about 20 cars per mold. At that point a new mold needs to be cast from a master (a brass model of a P72) and he said that production only takes place when the weather is on the cool side. F&C does not produce resin kits during summer. I thought that bit of information was interesting.
 #1463127  by mirrodie

Like Herpes, I keep coming back! LOL.

Looks like I last worked on them in 2013 and then we started the process of moving.....so

Finally got the car bodies and those crummy trucks ready to go and now at the stage of washing, paint and assembly. Just got some crazy glue too.

So 5 years later, any recommendations on trucks that are inexpensive and easy to get now? I’m not running trains anytime soon but curious what’s changed in the last 5 years.

How you like this?

#1463351  by mirrodie

Backshophoss wrote:Your Photobucket pic didn't show up with your post,They WANT $$$$ before allowing 3rd party hosting! :( :( :(

Hope this works...
 #1463614  by jhdeasy

Suggestion: Paint one of the P72 models with a red strip and number it as Sunrise Fleet parlor car 2001, 2002 or 2011 thru 2021. A first class model for first class passengers?
 #1463937  by edflyerssn007

I have 4 of these kits. I've made and painted 2. I like how they came out, even though I'm not the best painted in the world. I used MTA decals I had purchased. The trucks sucked that they came with. I ended up using some trucks from some athearn kits that I retrofitted. I don't know what trucks from any of the main distributors would be correct, I was more concerned with getting them running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBjmnNOZn4M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1464033  by scopelliti

The trucks I use are IHC 4240 (black) or 4241 (silver). Here's one in use (yeah it's the silver one that needs painting but shows better in photo):
truck under P72-small.jpg
Here's the package from IHC. They pop up on ebay all the time.
trucks-small.jpg
Gorgeous trucks, just wish I could find an easy way to swap the axles for .088 wheels. Here's a view of one awaiting seats and painting.
front-small.jpg
 #1464070  by mirrodie

SCopelliti, I’m the guy that got you the Enginehose pit info. Thanks for the close ups. Looks like IHC is still the way to go. Looks good, thanks. Like the grab bars, what did you use for chains?

I was thinking I should paint before adding those details.
 #1464092  by scopelliti

The chains are 40 link/inch chain - good hobby shops have it. I bought a couple of packs of metal lift rings (used as details on diesels). I count off 16 links and cut, then carefully open each lift ring, hook the end of the chain and squeeze the lift ring closed. Then I drill holes in the end of the P-72 and insert the lift rings. I use a 10X magnifying lens... my eyes ain't what they used to be. Yeah, it's a little crazy, takes some patience, but the chains look nice. Here's the lift rings:
Lift rings.JPG
and several different chains
Chains small.jpg
And a closeup of the chains (yeah should use a smaller drill on the next car)
Chain detail.jpg
What i found really helps to mount grab irons and such on F&C rosin kits is a Dremel drill press adapter that holds the dremel tool. I've got a #77 drill and have not broken it in a long while. Just be careful your finger doesn't get in the way! Got to find a way to slow it down.. even at the slowest speed it will melt plastic!

BTW thanks for the Morris Park pit information!
 #1465110  by mirrodie

edflyerssn007 wrote:I have 4 of these kits. I've made and painted 2. I like how they came out, even though I'm not the best painted in the world. I used MTA decals I had purchased. The trucks sucked that they came with. I ended up using some trucks from some athearn kits that I retrofitted. I don't know what trucks from any of the main distributors would be correct, I was more concerned with getting them running.
I’ll start with these truckas see how they run for the time being. I have seen your video in the past. Nice job!
jhdeasy wrote:Suggestion: Paint one of the P72 models with a red strip and number it as Sunrise Fleet parlor car 2001, 2002 or 2011 thru 2021. A first class model for first class passengers?
Oh, that’s the plan! Thanks for the recommendation!
scopelliti wrote:The trucks I use are IHC 4240 (black) or 4241 (silver).

Thank you for all the exquisite details! Looks awesome! These may be the last models I put together.. Then I have to start a layout! THank you much!