Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#139000  by LIengineerBob

It appears to me that not one of these local politicians, or residents or NIMBYS has even gotten stuck riding in a rush hour "parade" of trains that was caused by a downed train on one of the two tracks or some type of switch or signal problem where service had to be suspended for the passengers travelling in the "opposite" direction of peak travel.
I expeirienced a similar situation in my neighborhood, not do to a railroad, but due to the local electric company wanting to build a small power substation in an abandoned field thousand of feet to the nearest home to IMPROVE the electric service in my area. I was shocked (no pun intended) to find that NOT ONE PERSON "protesting" the project even lived within a few miles of the location. These are people who have nothing better to do than try and fight the government, and if they would go get a real job, they probably be happier people.
If the railroad sees fit to add a third or fourth track in the area, it will get done eventually.

#139032  by AMoreira81

The fire chief in Floral Park (reading similar postings on SubChat) has perhaps the only valid argument here: Assuming the firehouse is not relocated, he would lose the ability to get his fire trucks in and out. But could this be resolved by placing the firehouse on Tulip Avenue instead? A second argument is that one of the two major streets would be eliminated completely.

That aside, no one else has given a good REASON why this should not be built!

#139078  by mark777

Goog ol' Floral Park, a big thorn in everyone's side. God help them if their little village is slightly disturbed! Here is the case of the "ME" attitude where people could care less about the rest of the island as a whole and think of only themselves. None of these people take into account the benefits a third track would have on the LI economy, commuters, and even residents living near by the tracks. The grade crossing elimination should be a blessing for the folks of New Hyde Park and Westbury, let alone for Engineers. As is typical with NIMBY's, they lack proper knowledge when dealing with things such as this project, and the funny part of it all is that if the RR wanted to increase service on the existing line, it will do so with or with out anyone's approval and the additional third main track. Maybe the LIRR should close the Floral Park station as punishment for going against the project. What I don't get is that Floral Park would probably see the least amount of work needed to accomplish this project. The main line is already on an elevated structure through that area, and the addition of a third track would only need modifications to the elevated Floral Park station with not much in the way of disturbance to the village below. Compare that to say the New Hyde Park Rd crossing or Mineola, and you can see the difference. Someone needs to put a stop to the insanity of the village of Floral Park and make them realize that they are not the only ones living on Long island!
 #139085  by Head-end View

The Floral Park Fire Dept. has 3 stations and 2 of them are next to the LIRR. Headquarters is directly south of the Floral Park LIRR station in the "downtown" area. Station 3 is opposite the Bellerose station, also on the south side. Both are visible from your train. I'm not sure what the impact of construction would be on their operations. If the 3rd track were built on the north side, like I think it will in that area, it probably won't affect the Fire dept. at all. :wink:

#139099  by mp15ac

Since any grade-crossing elimination work would have to invole the installation of track on a temporary right of way, then wouldn't it make sense to include provisions for the third track at the same time? Also, the need for the temporary right of way would still require the dislocation of various properties, both private and commercial. So regardless of the thrid rack, there would still be disruption of the communities along the affted 11.5 miles.

Stuart

#139314  by Long Island 7285

MP15ac

my point exatly.

#139328  by NIMBYkiller

My advice to LIRR. Screw the NIMBYs and just build the damn thing!

So what if only phase one is done. What the hell should they care!? Phase two doesn't effect them.

And there fears of freight are just a bunch of hot air. NYA will probably not see much of an increase in rail freight. Hell, I bet the majority of the residents in the town didn't even know that there are freight trains on LI. And besides, what's the big deal? What, is the freight train that's going 45mph going to derail and kill you with its poisonous load of lumber and rocks? Get real.

This track is for the benefit of Long Island as a whole. And when the hell was there ever talk of a fourth or fifth track!? These poeple need to shut up and deal with it. If they don't like it, they can leave.

#139331  by Long Island 7285

speaking of not knowing about freights.

once i was asked to leave when i let 2 trains pass me. I told the officer i was not intrested in LIRR and there political crap, just wanted to get a glimps of a freight train..

he actully told me that there has not been any freights on LI in years and there never will be.

i said well join me and wait and well see how true it is, and just before he can get another word in, NYA came through. it was a welcomed sight and the look on his face after being out smarted was a kodak moment

then he laughed and said he though i was just being a wise ass, and then he left as i walked away my self.
 #552850  by One of One-Sixty

I just received a postcard in the mail normally I would just throw them in the trash as they are useless ads that just clutter my mailbox, but this one was different as the words MTA caught my eye. The postcard was from Assemblyman Tom McKevitt and It seems that he is holding a Town Hall Meeting about the 3rd track the MTA/LIRR is putting in, where residents can voice their concerns, you can reserve speaking time to discuss the situation at hand, but you have to call ahead to reserve it.

The Mayors from New Hyde Park and Mineola will be there as well as a Rep from Floral Park and a Trustee from Westbury. Also the following Assemblyman will be in attendance, Tom McKevitt, Tom Alfano and Rob Walker.

I am planning on attending and am planning on speaking in favor of the third track, I will call on Mon to reserve my time. For those who can not come is there anything ie; key points I should bring up, as I am planning on writing what I have to say down to make sure I address certain issues, myths and urban legends about the third track and so forth.

When:
17July2008
1900hrs-2200hrs

Where:
Mineola Community Center
155 Washington Ave, Mineola

To Reserve Speaking Time call
516-739-5119
 #552857  by kuzzel540

With ridership increasing each year, with the same amount of trains running, it will create dangerous overcrowding on the trains. I feel the third track is needed in order to add more trains to the schedule and relieve the overcrowding.
 #552896  by RetiredLIRRConductor

Politics..blaaahhh. Its a done deal. The MTA can take the land under eminent domain.
All this does is waste time and make it more expensive.
The supreme court of the US ruled last year that agencys that serve the public good can take land.
People should get over it, it will be done, period.
Get it done sooner then later, the longer the wait the more expensive it will be.
 #553221  by jayrmli

Politics..blaaahhh. Its a done deal. The MTA can take the land under eminent domain.
All this does is waste time and make it more expensive.
The supreme court of the US ruled last year that agencys that serve the public good can take land.
People should get over it, it will be done, period.
Get it done sooner then later, the longer the wait the more expensive it will be.
I agree. It's just a dog and pony show to make the public think they still have something to say about it. Maybe there will be enough of a stink about something small to make the public get some kind of concession, but if you think it wasn't planned for in the beginning, you're fooling yourself.

Jay
 #554761  by workextra

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longi ... 3066.story
BY STEVE RITEA | [email protected]
July 11, 2008
Dramatic MTA funding shortfalls will likely delay the Long Island Rail Road's controversial plan to establish a third track along a heavily trafficked 10-mile section of its main line between Hicksville and Floral Park, railroad president Helena Williams said Thursday.
Williams stressed that the so-called "third track" project remains a vital part of the railroad's planned eventual connection with Grand Central Station.
"A third track on the main line will always be something we're committed to," she said. "It remains a priority."
Williams favors delay of the estimated $1.5-billion third track project over a stall in completion of the LIRR/Grand Central link -- also known as East Side Access -- by 2015. The cost of that immense undertaking has ballooned from $6.4 billion to $7.2 billion in the past year alone, officials said
..... use link for the rest.

All I have to say is Keep waiting next year it will explode to $2.0 billion then, $2.5 then, who knows what! It keeps growing, and growing and growing.......