• LIRR M-7 deliveries reach halfway point

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by 7 Train

That's the final blow. The nail in the coffin. Farewell.
1968-2005

by UN Block

Tom,

That's EXACTLY the data I need for the roster update! Thanks! Now if I could only get this for ALL of the retired M1s!

BTW, how long is data kept in the system after a car is retired?
  by UN Block

Gang,

Here's the details from the FRA's accident web site regarding the LIRR on 11/2/89.

====Accident 3 =========================================================================================

DERAILMENT on Nov 02 1989 Long Island Rail Road [LI ] RR Report EQ891102
Involving PASSENGER TRAIN at 8 :41AM
Locos(Total/derailed) ./2 in New York Long Island Rail Road [LI ] Track Maintenance RR
Cars(Total/derailed) 0/0 County of KINGS
Speed 005 Eqp Dmg $93,732 Near or in FLATBUSH AVENUE ** Passengers were on train

....................Track information....................
Main Damage $42,353 Milepost 0.0 FRA Class 1 Total Casualties: 0 Deaths and 0 Injured
....Method(s) of operation ....Cause(s)....
Interlocking
Other track geometry defects

LI TRAIN 98 PROCEEDING EAST FROM #1 ATLANTIC TO #2 ATLANTIC DERAILED 7TH AND 8TH CARS OVER #3 CROSSOVER SWITCH DUE TO UN
DESIRABLE LATERAL DYNAMICS OVER A DOUBLE REVERSE CURVE.
  by UN Block

Can I presume that these two were scrapped at Morris Park?
  by UN Block

Do we know WHEN in 1994 these two cars were renumbered?

by LIengineerBob

Those two cars would have been renumbered right after the infamous Ferguson shooting rampage in December 1994. They are now renumbered 9945/9946. The actual M-3 order stopped at 9944.

by LIengineerBob

I happened to spot M-7's 7365 and 7366 still loaded on flatcars in Holban yard today, and seen 7360 being tested on the road.

by JoeLIRR

9001/2 were put to rest on 12-28, any one there have the bright idea as to salvage the #bords for the RMLI or for there own usage?

were they on any of the recent CP train out of LI.
  by N340SG

Well, they are sure taking a long time to take this pair off the property. It is still in the shop at HMC. The number boards are missing.
I know this because, idiot that I am, I bid and now own a job in HMC car shop, and saw the pair in that shop Tuesday.

Also, 9893/9894 was released from HMC before I got there. That is the pair of M-3s with experimental (M-7 style?) test floors and whatever else. I wanted to see the pair, but it was gone right before I got there. (Murphy's Law: That pair has been in HMC since last summer. It gets released a few days before I get there?) It is supposedly now in WS Yard for toilet retrofit. (Oh, no...Not that!!)

The bad news is, at HMC I have zero access to the computers to check the LIRR Intranet for fleet counts and other RSMS info for you guys. The place is too big, too noisy, with too many bosses walking around. :(

Tom

by Clemuel

Here's a trivia question.

The 9001 and 9002 were not the first M-1's delivered. Which were?

Clem
  by N340SG

Clem,

I don't remember the numbers. Was it in the high two hundreds? This was all way before my time here, but I am aware the numbers were received out of turn.
That's why I referred to 9001/9002 as "de facto" flagship pair. Only in it's numbering is it first.

Tom

by Clemuel

Tom,

Eh, I don't remember either, but I'm pretty sure they were the 9005 & 9006.

But, I KNOW they weren't the 9001 & 2.

hope you're happy in Hillside. Welcome to the rest of the world!

Clem
  by N340SG

Clem,
hope you're happy in Hillside
Midnights?...In Hillside?...What's to like? I hate it. Also, I was 3rd most senior Electrician in all of West Side Shop, and senior man on my shift. That was good for job pick and vacation pick.
But, with kiddies' college bills, I need to chase what little O.T. crumbs are left. That's it in a nutshell.

Tom
  by Head-end View

Tom: Good luck in your new "home" ! At least now you have a shorter commute. :-D
  by N340SG

Head-end view,

Thanks. I've been driving in, both because I have 17 years worth of stuff accumulated from WSS, (still waiting for tool locker at HMC...stuff is all in minivan), and also, I don't know if one can get the heck out of HMC by train during rush hours.

Tom