• LIRR locations - Before & After

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by docsteve

nyandw wrote: Is Adv. Weekender: "Advanced Weekender" and if so how does that differ from Weekender?
I have seen "Advanced Cannonball"; also...
The Weekenders were the Friday evening departures: as I recall, the Advance Weekender left Jamacia at 7:00 p.m., all parlor, first stop Westhampton; the Weekender followed at 7:10 p.m. with the more customary stops from Babylon eastward.

Also, the Cannon Ball went out Mon, Tues, Wed as a mixed (parlor/coach) train, leaving Jamaica around 5:00 p.m.; on Thurs & Fri that train became the East Ender. The Cannon Ball went out, I believe, 10 minutes ahead of the East Ender on Thurs and Fri, all parlor, first stop Westhampton; on Friday, the Advance Cannon Ball went out about 1/2 hour ahead of the Cannon Ball, same stops as the East Ender.

One of the mixed, the Adv. C/B or the E/E, deadheaded back, the crews in one of the lounge cars having a few, sometimes listening to railroading stories told by Willie Wilson.

Coming back west on Suncay, the Sundowner is the only named Sunday train I can recall; Monday morning was the Wall Street Special.

S
  by nyandw

Jamaica Bay passenger train crossing:
A LIRR 4-4-0 C.1900

MU train c. 1948

On the Sunday night of May 7, 1950 at approximately 10:00PM, a devastating 1,800' fire on the Jamaica Bay Trestle, south of Hamilton Beach, was destroyed by either sparks or a cigarette that was tossed from the train. The damage was estimated at $1 million. The railroad, then in bankruptcy, could not and would not rebuild it. With the subsequent cutting back of rail service to just north of the tower, BEACH was placed out of service on July 16, 1951.

More info on this location: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/far%20 ... branch.htm 45% down the page.
  by nyandw

Ronkonkoma view W towards Ronkonkoma Ave. overpass - 75 Years apart
Ronkonkoma Station view W c.1940 (Weber-Morrison) View below 1/17/2015

Can anyone ID the water tower location in the southwest location?
  by MACTRAXX

Steve:

This Ronkonkoma scene changed basically in a six year period - Summer 1985 to Summer 1991 -
Both of these photos look west with the yard and current station behind the photographer.

This was the time period of the Hicksville-Ronkonkoma Electrification which was completed in January 1988.

The rickety Ronkonkoma Avenue Bridge was closed and demolished in 1990 and was replaced with the current
structure which allows Easton Street direct access to the south station parking lots.

The old station building was demolished at some point in 1990-91 after a use could not be found for it and with
the always constant need for Ronkonkoma parking spaces...

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Backshophoss

From Certified Siding eastward,Ronkonkoma station was on the north side of the main,at KO Block Limit station,
there was a passing siding for freight south of the main,the yard and wye were north of the main till 1985.
After the 3rd rail was extended to KO,the current yard was moved to the south side of the Main,
the former yard site was converted to parking lots
  by RGlueck

Great shots. Keep them coming!
  by MADDOG

interesting that many of the buildings in the older photo of Bayside still appear in the newer photo.
MADDOG
  by LB

Why is one of tracks ripped up in the 1929 Bayside photo?
  by Engine 277

The two tracks on the left were out of service, they were just starting the grade crossing elimination. If you look on the far right, you can see the temporary track (Looks like only 1) they would use while they eliminated the crossings, by making the tracks below grade.
  by Engine 277

Douglaston Draw Bridge 1953

by DogBert

Is that guy in the 53' photo a bridge operator?
  by nyandw

“DOUGLASTON DRAWBRIDGE” FORMERLY “D” CABIN. INTERLOCKING AND INTERLOCKING STATION OUT OF SVC: 7/6/48. CABIN RAZED: 1950.
Research: Dave Keller

I might surmise this is the case as water vessels have passage rights over rail lines; thus perhaps had to be manned?
  by Engine 277

Believe it or not I think those silver cars are still in service on the RR. Still used on work trains with cranes