Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by njgrptfan

has anyone caught the tv commercial (here in the NY area) for high speed cable/dsl. Im not sure of the company its's a cable company. The spokesman is talking outside a building. It might be Southampton, and as he's talking, to get the point of high speed across, they show a lirr diesel train (cab car). I caught it a few nights ago, and just saw it right now about 12:45 am Sun./Mon. morning on channel 11 in NYC.
keep an eye out for it and help me if I identified the wrong station.

by AmtrakPhill629

I saw it too there two versions of it.

by Lupo 10

I have been trying to figure it out for months! LOL.

by trackml2

I find it ironic that the same company that did all it could, successfully, to screw the MTA (lirr) out of the NY Jets deal to protect its monoply on sporting and concert events in the city, is now advertising on the lirr property.

by Lupo 10

I actually thought the advertiser was Canon. Of course the mark of a great commercial is if you remember what is being advertised. I guess this one's not too good. LOL

by Long Island 7285

I was probly filmed with a canon camera :-)

by Clemuel

Verizon just filmed a commercial in Long Beach a couple of weeks ago and several scenes of an upcoming movie "Little Children" were filmed on the platform and aboard trains at Douglaston last week.

Clemuel

by AmtrakPhill629

I remember that afternoon when they were here in Long Beach Filming.

by mjb777

To all those wondering the company is the discusting Cablevision which ruined the Rangers and is trying to make amends with the Knicks I think it is Ironic that the company that screwed the Jets out of a stadium as the nerve and the ordasity to hype its optimum on line on M.T.A properity.
  by njgrptfan

Speaking of the LIRR used on film. I just rented that piece of crap Jim Carey movie "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". Parts of it were filmed in Montauk. There was 2 scenes filmed at Montauk Station. They even mentioned Montauk, Rockville Center in the film. They also mentioned the LIRR, but they used Metro North trains, with LIRR stickers slapped on over the M.N. logos. A metro north station was also used with a sign put up that said "Montauk Train" at the platform.
I'm not sure if anyone had mentioned this before, as the movie came out in 2004.

by badneighbor

cablevision forgets quickly... after the YES network battle a few years ago, the "Optimum" logo appears extensively during Yankee games... I know this may be off topic, but we all understand that being NYers bonds us all to the same bull$%#.

by 7 Train

Another movie I could think of is "Married to the Mob", with M-1s featured in the first several minutes.

by RetiredLIRRConductor

Lets not forget "The Money Pit" where Tom Hanks waits for a train that does not stop at the old Mill neck station, "Slueth: Where Chris Reeve is shown boarding a train in Penn Station, and leaving another Somewhere east of patchouge.
  by bingdude

njgrptfan wrote:has anyone caught the tv commercial (here in the NY area) for high speed cable/dsl. Im not sure of the company its's a cable company. The spokesman is talking outside a building. It might be Southampton, and as he's talking, to get the point of high speed across, they show a lirr diesel train (cab car). I caught it a few nights ago, and just saw it right now about 12:45 am Sun./Mon. morning on channel 11 in NYC.
keep an eye out for it and help me if I identified the wrong station.
The fact that you can't recall what product it is for (Optimum Online) shows how effective its message is. Then again...it is Cablevision. Let's see...a guy yells at you and calls you a loser if you have DSL, and there are blur shots of LIRR trains running by cut in there.

I don't think it will win a Clio.