• LIRR Hiring Assistant Conductors!

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by awtprod

I applied for the position but forgot to add to my resume my retail/food service experience, does anyone know how to upload a new resume or add that to my profile? Am I completely screwed if I don't have that on there?
  by brylove7

I also appilied for the Assitant Conductor position i hope i do get accepted i am crossing my fingers, even though i am currently living in Miami Florida, i can relocate to where the LIRR is at i really don't mind about moving i am willing to.

i want to be a Railroad Conductor for Amtrak but this is a big start and huge leap to get where i need to go and finally i could start in the travel and transportation industires, i don't mind starting out with the MTA LIRR.

so i don't mind starting out with the LIRR, is there any tips that i should be aware of if and when i get accepted by the LIRR?

also currently i am volunteering in a Railroad Museum in Miami Florida so i don't know if they like people that knows the basics of Railroads or they do?
  by Marge s

The hiring standards have been reduced so you should be fine.
  by Rbts Stn

Marge s wrote:The hiring standards have been reduced so you should be fine.
So lots of misspellings and forgetting to include everything on a resume isn't a problem anymore?

Thank goodness.
  by GCT Worker

brylove7 wrote:i want to be a Railroad Conductor for Amtrak but this is a big start and huge leap to get where i need to go and finally i could start in the travel and transportation industires, i don't mind starting out with the MTA LIRR.

You do realize that LIRR and MNR are the two biggest commuter rails in the country
and highest paid as well. Most people would love to start and finish their careers with
either agency.
  by truck6018

GCT Worker is right. Most consider going from LIRR or MNR to Amtrak as going backwards. Usually it's people getting in to Amtrak then try to get into LIRR or MNR.
  by SlackControl

I think Amtrak offers far fewer benefits than the LIRR and MNRR offer. Amtrak only gets railroad retirement, LIRR and I think MNRR both offer pensions, as well as getting railroad retirement. Amtrak employees pay into their medical, LIRR employees don't. However, with the LIRR's medical, there is a copay for everything! Plus, I'm sure eventually the company will force their employees to pay into their medical. I think the only plus about working for Amtrak over LIRR or MNRR is that you can work anywhere in the country for Amtrak. If you work for one crew base but decide to move, you can bid into another crew base. The pay rate is the same no matter where you work. If you live in an area of the country, and you're making the $37/h as an Amtrak engineer, you could live like a king if that part of the country has very low cost if living. That's something big to consider when deciding which railroad to work for. LIRR pays enough for you to live on LI in a blue-collar neighborhood, if that's where you want to live.

Either way though, whichever railroad you start with, it might be better off staying put there, because you build up seniority as people retire. So if you leave one railroad and start new with a different one, you also start all over on the bottom of the roster.
  by SwingDog

Jus came back from intervew. The LIRR sez that conductors job will get no raises for the next three years at least and that a new agreement to get mor jobs makes them pay for some of there benefets. I got a page with all the details. It doesnt pay much to start, and without a rase for the next 3 yrs I dont no if its for me. I guess i can start and leve wne something better comes along. I can get pomoted to a different job their right?
  by southbound

SwingDog wrote:Jus came back from intervew. The LIRR sez that conductors job will get no raises for the next three years at least and that a new agreement to get mor jobs makes them pay for some of there benefets. I got a page with all the details. It doesnt pay much to start, and without a rase for the next 3 yrs I dont no if its for me. I guess i can start and leve wne something better comes along. I can get pomoted to a different job their right?
Looking at your spelling and punctuation, you should have no problem being #1 in line for a promotion.
  by NYCrails

SwingDog wrote:Jus came back from intervew. The LIRR sez that conductors job will get no raises for the next three years at least and that a new agreement to get mor jobs makes them pay for some of there benefets. I got a page with all the details. It doesnt pay much to start, and without a rase for the next 3 yrs I dont no if its for me. I guess i can start and leve wne something better comes along. I can get pomoted to a different job their right?
Is this a joke..
  by Rbts Stn

NYCrails wrote:
Is this a joke..
Lord I hope so.
  by SwingDog

Does it make you guys feel big to make fun of me? I was happy to get interview and u people try to make me feel bad? Jealous maybe?
  by SlackControl

If you get hired as an AC, you start at 70% of the full rate. So, for you, the first five years of employment you will be getting raises until you reach 100% rate, which for brakemen is about $32 an hour I think. The claim that there will be no raises is based upon that $32 an hour. The company is trying to play hardball and bully the employees into taking no raises. I thought there was a set of "books" a year or two years ago that was found though that showed the MTA had a surplus. The company can afford raises. Getting raises or not depends on two things....the negotiating power the union leaders have, and then it depends on the membership of the union voting for or against the contract proposals. The membership needs to stand together and hold their ground!
  by NYCrails

SwingDog wrote:Does it make you guys feel big to make fun of me? I was happy to get interview and u people try to make me feel bad? Jealous maybe?
As an employee , I see a lot of problems with the authenticity of your post its not worth going forward. But hey congrats?