Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Trains

Where does the LIRR refuel trains? How do they deliever the fuel to the fueling locations? Do they haul them in by train, by truck, or pipeline it from barges? I'm asking because I have never seen a train with tanker cars on it, but I do live fairly far east, so maybe they don't refuel out that far. Any information would be appreciated.

by DutchRailnut

Like everything cargo these days fuel is transported by truck to fuel facility. you won't see to much fuel transported by train the market is to volatile for rail shipment.

by Clem

Fuel is trucked into Morris Park and Long Island City by Island Transportation.

When an engine or track car runs out on the road, the Railroad has a heck of a time finding a heating oil company to deliver fuel to it. Seems they don't pay their bills and have stiffed every supplier from Glendale to Montauk.

Clem

by Long Island 7285

that's not good neighboor and business practice, but thats the state for ya.

ok

by Trains

Ok, another question: How long can a DM30AC go until it needs to be refueled again? (I'm talking being used under normal conditions)

by Form 19

A DE consumes approximately 300 gallons in a 24hr period if sitting in a yard and not being used on the road.

A round trip to Montauk consumes approximately 500 gallons (212 miles roundtrip from Jamaica).

A round trip to Speonk consumes approximately 300 gallons (126 miles roundtrip from Jamaica).

So do the math and take it from there. Hope this helped.
  by Trains

I have also notice on the DE/DM's that there is a red lcd display on the side of the locomotive near the fuel tank. Does this guage give a readout of how full the tank is? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? What does the tank hold? 2,000 gallons?
  by jg greenwood

Trains wrote:I have also notice on the DE/DM's that there is a red lcd display on the side of the locomotive near the fuel tank. Does this guage give a readout of how full the tank is? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? What does the tank hold? 2,000 gallons?
No clue as to the capacity. On freight locomotives the lcd display you speak of is indeed a fuel readout. I would imagine it is likewise for the DE/DM.

by 9C1LT1

The red LCD display is the fuel readout. The DE/M holds more then 2,000 gal. I saw one in Oyster Bay last week with 2,300 gal. I forgot what the total capacity is though...

That’s some fuel usage for a layed up DE/M train… HEP to blame? Question for Form 19, is there a way to get better fuel economy out of a DE/M on a round trip to Montauk? For example, having a "light hand" accelerating in 4th or 5th instead of 7th or 8th. Would that save a few gallons?

-Barry
  by N340SG

The 2003 equipment tabulation (the newest one I have) lists 3000 gallon fuel capacity for the DEs, and 2400 gallon fuel capacity for the DMs.

Tom

by Form 19

As Barry stated, the red LCD mentioned is the fuel guage. There is also one on the Rockwell screens in the cab.

Would a "light hand" conserve fuel..well probably but you wouldn't accelerate as fast and being a commuter road, OTP is important. Look at it this way. If we conserved fuel, then the dinosaurs would have died in vain!

The best way I believe to conserve fuel on those contraptions they call engines would be to shut them down and never use them again.