• LIRR Fan trips vs Metro North

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BobLI

Hi, just a quick comment. I saw theFebrueary Railpace magazine article on the Metro North fan trip for the last run of the ACMU's.
Its a shame that their P/R dept can put on various fan trips while the LIRR management discourages it.
It seems like the publicity they get is priceless and makes them seem more "friendly" to the rail fans and the historic runs, like the last of the ACMU's.

Coments??

by MACTRAXX

BOB: It seems to me that MNCR has a better repore with the rail fan community than the LIRR. The 1100 MNCR trip was like a railfan "Family gathering" to me. MNCR has that great Croton Shop open house each year - I have been to Hillside once on a NRHS trip - LI Sunrise Trail Chapter tour back in 1995. MACTRAXX
  by jhdeasy

Here is another relevant difference:

On Saturday January 22nd, Metro North willingly operated a charter special train, consisting of 2 MN Genesis locomotives and 3 off-line private cars, New York to Poughkeepsie and return. They did this as planned - on schedule - despite a significant snowstorm. MN made money on the trip and the client was very satisifed.

Last year we sought to operate a similar trip, New York to Montauk and return, on LIRR. LIRR's marketing people seemed taken aback that we even made such an "unusual request" of them ... it was apparent their attitude was "please go away" so we dont have to say NO to you.

We look forward to working with the professionals at Metro North RR for future special trips with private varnish.

by BobLI

judging by the LIRR attitudre even if the steam engine 39 or 35 was restored, there wouldnt be a place to run them..If they dislike fan trips or private charters imagine trying to run steam any where on the RR. Not a chance !!!

by bluebelly

I find it odd that the RR takes this attitude. I thought it might be coming from the MTA on down but the above post about MNRR and the recent NYCTA fan trip indicates otherwise.
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the LIRR catch a lot of flack from the press and regular customers over the fan trip they ran in 1999 for the retiring of the old diesel fleet? Maybe they swore off fan trips after that.
Here's a link about the trip for those who may not know about it:
http://www.forgotten-ny.com/SUBWAYS/Diesel/diesel.html

by Long island Joe

by krispy

Last edited by krispy on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Lupo 10

I would like to say that the LIRR really stepped up to the plate in a big way for Twin Forks Chapter NRHS in the fall of 2003. That was when we hosted the NRHS board of directors meeting and had delegates from NRHS chapters across the country and the UK. We set up a trip to Hillside facility for them and our local chapter members and were met by the LIRR at Ronkonkoma. They had a dedicated car for us and we had a fantastic tour of the facility. Everyone was quite impressed with them.

I have heard various opinions about the LIRR and their anti-rail enthusiast mentality over the years but speaking from this experience they did a great job.