• LIRR Engineers Ready To Strike?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Liquidcamphor

For now, they will be transported over the Montauk Branch and Montauk Cut-off, towed by a diesel.

by utubrother

even if they designate a track as a "Tansfer" track none of us (the UTU or the BLE) are "qualified" on these tracks.
Which makes these tracks "off property work" it would have contractional, financial chaos.
As for access, the westward freight is out of service and Amtrak will not permit access through the sub track or their secondary track.
so yes the only answer is the montauk cut off secondary.
I walked those tracks recently.......
not looking too safe :(

by Liquidcamphor

I guess this is an open door. It was inevitable. The BLE at least tried but we live in a Republic and the law is the law.

They will appeal the decision but probably another dead-end. The LIRR feels it can do what it wants and bolstered by the courts probably will.

They are putting their ducks-in-a-row for the future. With this East End operating authority on the horizon, it seems like the LIRR is going to be different.

Then there's the question over whether Bombardier will repair the M-7 fleet as part of an extended maintainence contract. That is another idea being thrown around. I guess they can "lease" Hillside and do as they pleased. Who knows.

Funny thing about the LIRR..they demand loyalty and insist on being disloyal themselves.

by NRECer

I think at least three of the Big 4 rr's (BNSF, UP and CSX) have turned the MANAGEMENT of their locos shops over to EMD and GE. I'm not sure how it hasn't impacted the crafts, I know that in some cases foremen lost their jobs.

UP has a lot of MofE jobs posted all over the 'net.