Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by LIRR04

When the current diesel switchers (Mp15 etc) get too old to use, what Diesel locomotive will the LIRR replace them with?

by emfinite

They would probably experiment with different equipment and see what works best. I could see some GP15Ds or GP20Ds.

What did the RR do with all the old ASC systems that were in the 38's and F's/FA's? Could whatever is left be utilized in new equipment?

by Nasadowsk

They'll go out, contract to EMD to build a whole new design (DS-30AC). It'll weight 500,000 lbs, have 2400HP, AC traction, be unable to pull more than 1 car, have a MDBF of 10 miles, burn 50 gallons an hour idling, suffer from frame cracks the first year, and be 1/10th as reliable as the existing switchers.

"Because GEs load too slowly"

by Dave Keller

And not fit the platforms at Jamaica :wink:

Dave Keller

by Nasadowsk

Oh yeah, we also forgot:

* Made entirely of stainless steel, including the seats, trucks, horns....
* Made by the experts builders upstate at Sooper Steal
* Each switcher contains a small statue of Pataki with his typically goofy smile on top of the control stand....

by LIengineerBob

I beleive that the Alcos and the GP38-2's were scrapped with the ASC still in them. I might be wrong, one of the shop guys could probably answer that better, but thats what I heard.
As for using the old systems, it probably wouldn't be cost effective putting the old stuff into a new locomotive. The old ASC system is a huge group of relays and printed circut boards(thats what that giant box is for), plus valves, fittings and loads of air piping to get it all to work. It would most likely be labor intensive to remove it all, save it, store it and reapply it to a new engine. It would be a whole lot easier to just build the new loco with it already installed.

by jayrmli

For the record, the ASC was stripped out of most of the units retired (I checked :wink: ). I'm assuming they did that as parts to the old system are hard to come by, so they will probably be used on the remaining old equipment when needed.

It wouldn't be used in the new equipment for the same reason, lack of parts availablity.

Jay

by WIN Tower

......and then Amtrak will put in an order for those DS-30AC's .

by 9C1LT1

"Get to old to use" Na, they will most likely rebuild them. It seems the big locomotive builders are shifting away from making low HP switchers. They could buy that new environmentally friendly switcher, I forgot who builds it… and I think BNSF or UP is testing them now. But they will probably just be rebuilt, look at the FL-9's, the MP-15's could last another 25 years with a Good rebuild program.

by emfinite

How much longer will these MP15's last without a rebuild? When I saw the 168 yesterday pulling 4 cars and an engine, I witnessed a plume of smoke bigger then most steam engines. Didn't seem too healthy at all.

by Nasadowsk

For what the LIRR does with these things, does it really make sense even bothering to get brandie new switchers? I mean, pull a few freight cars around and fetch dead DE/DMs from wherever....

As long as the Harold set stays. I like the Dashing Dan scheme on them.

by Paul

As long as the frame is not damaged beyond repair, a locomotive can be rebuilt/upgraded indefinatly. Here on the Union Pacific our switcher fleet is everything from SW1500/MP15, GP38-2 GP38-3 (Microprocessor controlled) and GP/SD40s and even some SD38s thown in for good measure. Even LIRR's 645 powered MP15s could be rebuilt with electronic fuel injection, microprocessor controlls, computer controlled braking. roller bearing traction motors, etc,etc. Or, MTA could buy some of these GP20Ds for switching service. At least these have a four stroke Clatterpillar.

how would you like to see these on commuter trains????????:-D

by RRChef

YUCK! and I thought Santa Fe's CF-7's were god-awful looking locomotives! Although, they would probably be good replacements for the 50 year old scrap metal the New York and Atlantic is trying to keep running. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the GP-10 fry a traction motor out east recently?

by 7 Train

The MP15AC's date from 1975-80. Some older diesels date all the way back to the 50s!

by Nasadowsk

My guess is they'll lease some boring road switcher or such.

Though it'd be cool if they did like someshortlines and get an old Baldwin or FM unit :)

(I always did wanna see either in action, Baldwins just because the motors were so huge, FM because the OP engine's a cool design)