Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by fender52

Steve,

Good link. It's info you don't normally see about railroads in general. I am always looking for ticket office interior photos and you don't see many of them. Now, I could kick myself for never taking any pictures myself.

One thing I can add about the daters is that the regular clerks would never change the ribbon. They would leave a note or the extra would see that you could barely read the impression and they would have to change the ribbon. That was a pain since you would get ink all over your hands and eventually your shirt (pastel colored of course).

After working a few stations, I said enough is enough, I would rewind the ribbon and then ink it using the bottle of ink and brush we used for the ink pads. When the regular clerk came back, he would have to change it out.

I also might be able to get a picture of the Ajax.
  by nyandw

[quote="fender52"]Steve, Good link. It's info you don't normally see about railroads in general. I am always looking for ticket office interior photos and you don't see many of them

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Statio ... eriors.htm. Station interiors and Ticket Offices for example:

Flatbush Ave. Brooklyn Station track level ticket office 6/1972 Photo/Archive: Dave Keller
  by nyandw

fender52 wrote:Steve, I also might be able to get a picture of the Ajax.
That would be great, as No one seems to have info/pics on the Ajax. Thank you. :wink:
  by MACTRAXX

F52 and Steve:

Good ticket office picture above and memories. Due to unforseen circumstances I will not be able to
get out to RMLI in Riverhead until next week. Again I will see what their collection has in the way of
stamping devices. I am also interested in seeing the Ajax dater since they saw such limited use back
in the early 1980s. I will also check into what die blocks that they have - I know that they have one
from Laurelton with a unserifed 1 (80s vintage) and an older Port Jefferson block reading L.I.R.R.
along with a serifed 1 (60s or 70s vintage-or older?).

MACTRAXX
  by nyandw

Aurora Dater Stamper Impressions Archive: Brad Phillips

Hills Centennial Dater Stamper Impressions Archive: Brad Phillips
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

I got out to RMLI Riverhead today and this is what they had on display or shelved in the library
section - Stamping daters and die blocks:

In display case in main building: Centennial Dater Model D without a die block. I had to take this
out of the case where it was displayed to read the makers name and type - which was faded and
would not be visible from outside the glass. Not sure if this was even a LIRR dater.

There were two Cosmo daters: One behind the counter of the Gift Shop with a 1 WOODSIDE 1 die
block and one upstairs on a shelf with a 1 LAURELTON 1 die block. Both die blocks had unserifed 1
numerals (late 70s-80s vintage) and had mounting tacs on the upper left and lower right on back.

An Aurora(?) dater painted metallic gold was on the same shelf with a 2 PORT WASHINGTON 2 die
block - which looked to be 50s or 60s vintage noting the character design. I need to check more
about this item - alongside was a Aurora box that contained a dater that was sent to Hicksville.

The big question can now be fully answered: The 1995-early 2000s electric dater is a RAPIDPRINT
from the Rapidprint Division-Bidwell Industrial Group, Middletown,CT 06457 Model AD-RST-E.
110 volts 60hz; Maximum Amps-8. Supplier: Bachmann Business Machine Corp. (212)741-2700

The photo of the electric dater shows the right side that is opened with the key visible to change
the date or adjust the ribbon by hand. On the front of the machine above it reads RAPIDPRINT.
The brass insert plate that it has reads 29 PENN STATION 29 with the MTA logo. The plate has a
serial number that is embossed on the back near the ring which reads 00873.

Die blocks of an earlier type (they look 50s era perhaps?) With two mounting tacs middle center:
L.I.R.R. Penn Station 1,2,4("P.C." also on this 4 block); 53 (9012 on top under L.I.R.R.);
Westbury 1 and Long Beach 1 - total of six. Are these Aurora blocks? I did not test them.
These look to be older then the die blocks in the picture above from the Phillips collection.

The museum staffer that knows about what RMLI may have in storage concerning daters and dies
and other stamp types was not available this trip. Maybe next week I can find out more about the
collection that RMLI has. Does any information exist about the continued elusive Ajax dater?

Hope this helps with what has become an interesting LIRR history subject...MACTRAXX
  by nyandw

Mike: "he big question can now be fully answered: The 1995-early 2000s electric dater is a RAPIDPRINT
from the Rapidprint Division-Bidwell Industrial Group, Middletown,CT 06457 Model AD-RST-E.
110 volts 60hz; Maximum Amps-8. Supplier: Bachmann Business Machine Corp. (212)741-2700

The photo of the electric dater shows the right side that is opened with the key visible to change
the date or adjust the ribbon by hand. On the front of the machine above it reads RAPIDPRINT.
The brass insert plate that it has reads 29 PENN STATION 29 with the MTA logo. The plate has a
serial number that is embossed on the back near the ring which reads 00873."

Thus, this is not a Cosmo Electric Stamper, but a Rapidprint and my/forum ID is incorrect?
  by MACTRAXX

Steve:

The picture posted by F52 is the Rapidprint electric dater. The insert plates are slid in under the
two screws visible on the upper side and the notch on the plate helps holds it in place. On the
front lower "lip" partially visible is the suppliers name and phone number. On the back is a plate
affixed with the manufacturer's name and model information. MACTRAXX
  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote:Steve:
The picture posted by F52 is the Rapidprint electric dater. The insert plates are slid in under the
two screws visible on the upper side and the notch on the plate helps holds it in place. On the
front lower "lip" partially visible is the suppliers name and phone number. On the back is a plate
affixed with the manufacturer's name and model information. MACTRAXX
Thank you... :-) Updated: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrex ... ralist.htm

Now for the solution to the AJAX Dater!
  by fender52

Still looking for a Ajax. I have a friend who may have one and is looking for it in his boxes.

Most of them were thrown away after we got the electric validators. The Ajax's were always breaking when used.