Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Lirr168

I took a trip into Syraucuse today, and as I was driving through the parking lot of the Carousel Mall (the one and only place to go up here), I noticed a P72 coach on a freight siding. Upon closer inspection, I discovered it to be none other than our own #2947! The trademark "We Serve With Pride" logo and blue striping is still visible after all these years. Does anyone know why a LIRR coach is sitting on a freight siding in downtown Syracuse?

by Long Island 7285

Get Photos

by M1 9147

Yes please, we can use them.

by LIRRNOVA55

Dosent surprise me at all.
Them P72s are everywhere.

by Long Island 7285

any word on condition, and undercarrage

by Lirr168

I will get pics ASAP, but from my initial inspection, the body is in perfect shape and the undercarriage looks quite good as well. The paint is a bit faded, but otherwise it looks great. There is also another P72 coupled to it, RHBX #613 and a red-striped parlor car (it was farther from the street, so I couldn't get a # or check for logos) on another siding a few blocks down; I think these may be other LIRR units as well.

by Long Island 7285

try to get close if it is possible (use safety glasses) if you have them and see what the car floor is like, above the trucks and so on.

by RSD15

I believe the track you have seen is the NYSW(ONTRACK) carousel mall station track.NYSW uses these cars and others for events at syracuse university and other special trains.

charles

by Lirr168

RSD15 wrote:I believe the track you have seen is the NYSW(ONTRACK) carousel mall station track.NYSW uses these cars and others for events at syracuse university and other special trains.

charles
Indeed it is the Carousel Mall Station track...I still just thought it was siding. Since you seem to know what you're talking about, Charles, maybe you can answer a few questions for me:

-what exactly is NYSW(ONTRACK)?
-if they use these for special events and whatnot, why is it still in LIRR colors?
-is that RHBX #613 coupled to 2947 also a LIRR P72 in new paint?

by RSD15

ONTRACK is the shuttle train (RDCs) run by NYSW between the mall and syracuse university (carrier dome).i think both onondaga county and NYSW share the expenses for these trains.
LIRR cars,i should have explained, are owned by the CNYRHS.
LIRR 2910 oos
LIRR 2947
LIRR 2973
LIRR 2977 now RHSX 603

they also have a mp-54 ? car 1149.