• LIRR BICENTENNIAL EXHIBIT DISPLAY CARS:CAN ANYONE HELP?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MACTRAXX

In the Bicentennial era of the mid 70s I recall that the LIRR had two exhibit cars-a tuscan red-painted MP54 for Nassau County and a ping-pong coach for Suffolk County. Does anyone have any idea where they were exhibited and for how long? Any photos of them out there? I also remember that the MP54 burned up in a fire is that correct? Was the Suffolk car the one placed at the rest area on the LIE? I am doing research for the NRHS and can use the info! MACTRAXX

by Dave Keller

The only help I can give you is as follows:

MU car #s 1632 and 1391 were painted Tuscan Red and made up the consist of the "Nassau County Heritage Train."

I have a shot of it taken at Port Washington.

MU car #s 1900 and 921 were painted Tuscan Red and made up the consist of the "Suffolk County Bicentennial Heritage Train" and it ran in non-electrified territory.

I have two (2) views of it taken at Patchogue.

I believe (not sure, though) that the Suffolk County cars were placed on display in the rest area along the LIE. If their car numbers are still visible, you can now determine whether they were the Nassau Co. or Suffolk Co. set.

Dave Keller

by One of One-Sixty

As a non-native LIer, where is the rest area of the LIE? I have heard talk about it before but never knew where it was at. I'm presuming somewhere deep in Suffolk county though.

by Dave Keller

IIRC, (it's been 17 years) it's located on the south side of the LIE at around exit 53, near the Sagtikos Parkway.

Dave Keller

P.S. As you're an admitted non-native, the LIE stands for the Long Island Expressway, just in case you had no idea.

by Long Island 7285

Thats right dave. the Sagitos is just east of the rest stop.

The car is on the eastbound side of the LIE and the south side (right when driving east. )

by UN Block

Only one of the four cars is on the LIE. This is what I have:

1391 (ex-4391, nee-1391) was used as parts storage car for M1’s at Dunton Shop, 1969 to 2-18-1971. Saved for preservation. Used on Bicentennial Train 1975-76? Donated to Port Jefferson Station-Terryville Chamber of Commerce 19??, becoming a tourist information center at the intersection of State Highways 112 and 347, Terryville, NY. This car, and four other MPB54s, were converted into full baggage cars (but did NOT get reclassed!) starting in 1950, by removing the partition between coach and baggage sections and all seats and blanking the windows. 1391 and 1398 were converted back to combines during modernization, which was when they were renumbered into the 4000s.

1632 (MP54Ac) and 1900 (MP54Cc): I do not know their current location.

T54B 4921 saved for preservation and stored until 4-1976. Repainted tuscan red with black roof and gold leaf lettering and renumbered back to 921 for use on Heritage Train from 5-1976 to 8-1976. Stored on Track 1, Flatbush Ave. from 8-1976. Donated to Suffolk County, (date?), and moved to visitor information center on the Long Island Expressway between Exits 51 and 52 in Dix Hills, NY.

by UN Block

How does one attach an image to one of these replies? I have a nice shot taken in Terryville last year to show everyone.

by Dave Keller

Hi UN

Your image first has to be posted to a website.

Once it is, you copy the link to the photo, click "Img" in the toolbar above where you compose your message(s), then paste your link, and again click "Img."

It sould look something like this: [img]www.ahcrud.com[img]

Click "Preview" below the message to see if the photo is there. If it is, "ya dun good, kid!" :wink:

Dave Keller

by BEDT16RMLI

UN
1391/4391 is in the Railroad Museum of Long Island Collection
1398/4398/W6 is the the Port Jeff/Terryville car.

Mike Arnold
Twin Forks Chapter of the NRHS

by MACTRAXX

Thanks all for the replies! The question that I still have is about the bicentennial exhibits-What they were and how they were displayed?-I seem to recall information on the counties as well as LIRR historical information.I recall hearing about a model train display on board was that correct? Any insight on this will be appreciated! MACTRAXX
  by trainspot

Heres one I took at Oyster Bay. P/M me or email me o others, I have 1632 there and a photo of 1900 and the other 2 at Hempsted.
  by trainspot

The 1632 was "torched" by vandals, then scrapped. I remember seeing it at Yard "A". Car 1900 was moved to a restaurant in Water Mill? (near Montauk) and may still be there.
I have a poor shot of the inside of a car with photos on peg-board. I don't remember a train layout, but there may have been one.

by Clemuel

As with most of the cars now in Riverhead, the Long Island - Sunrise Trail Chapter of the NRHS was very instrumental in the rescue and then the later cosmetic restoration of these cars. Their members supplied specifications for the repainting and built a model railroad exhibit of East Williston Station for the combine. They also staffed the exhibits contained inside as the cars were placed in various stations throughout the system.

The Railroad did the renovation in Morris Park. The cars were painted, inside and out, lettered, journals were repacked, airbrakes rebuilt and traction motors removed (so they wouldn't fall out). I recall that 110 V lighting was installed. The cars had to be hauled around by an engine from one static exhibit location to another.

Most all of those involved who were Railroad employees are retired. Bob Sturm, Win Boerkel, Art Huneke who were active in the LIST group probably worked carefully behind the scenes. Others who were involved as kids and teens later came to work for the Railroad. It was felt that any use of the cars, which under the LIST Chapter's care on Howell's Siding, would be a further lease on life.

The Railroad of 1976 had a difficult time accounting for the money spent in the repainting of the cars. It's history now, but I was told several questions were asked about the "maroon paint that was bought for the bar-generator cars".

Clem